RBTree's awsome pics

Mr Ed

So, I've recently gotten a new camera, and another is in the works within a coupla months.

Though I'm still shooting with the workhorse Canon 1D Mk ll, which represented a near quantum leap in digital photographic technology when it was introduced. (Most working pro sports shooters bought two) The 1D cameras are heavy and expensive, but they spare no expense in offering near photographic perfection--at least as of their release date. However, the latest mid line cameras from Canon and Nikon are every bit as good in many ways, are lighter, and cost 1/4 to 1/2 as much.

So, my new camera is the 5D Mkll, which has a full frame 21 megapixel sensor, and was the first SLR to offer full 1080P HD video. Full frame means no crop factor, so my wide angle lenses can be used to their full effect, something I haven't been able to enjoy since my old pro film EOS 1N was stolen.

The IQ, or image quality, of the 5D is nearly identical (better in some ways) to the 1D Mklll S, which was listed at $7200 when the $2700 5D was introduced about 18 months ago (or 30, I'd have to look that up) As as result of the 5D's success, Canon had to lower the full pro camera's list price by about $1000.

My next camera, will be the 18 megapixel 7D, which lists at about $1700. It has a smaller sensor with a crop factor of 1.6, which means lens like my 300 f/2.8 now take photos like a 480 mm lens, on that body. It's auto focus system is new and improved, and is amazingly good, I'm told. (OF course the brand new 1D MklV, at $5000, is even better.) The 7D also shoots at 8 frames per second, so it's perfect for sports-----or zip lining big wood. HA!

Both cameras are being used by many pro photographers. And both of them will set me back several hundred dollars less than would the 1D Mk lV.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was shot with my 24-70 f/2.8 L

4331457741_1a68fe14a5_o.jpg

Then, just last Saturday, I bought my first ever full macro lens, the recently released Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro IS. It provides up to 4 stops of image stabilization, a first for a macro lens, and is reportedly the sharpest Canon lens, which is saying a lot! I'm in heaven!

I think this is the same blob of mosses, as the first image, but shot from the other side. (The tree is a crabapple in my front yard.

4399596056_e002bb4edb_o.jpg

Spring is 4-6 weeks early here. This is a rare Japanese maple, that is leafing out, weeks ahead of most all other maples.

4400701586_e138a0ea7d_b.jpg

All the shots I've done so far with the macro, which is capable of shooting lifesize images, or 1-1, or a minimum of 36x24mm...... are handheld. Had I used a tripod, the image sharpness would be even better. I surely will, but I do like the ability to easily move around, that shooting free gives.

This set is dedicated to the 5D and the macro lens, and will keep updating as I add images to it. I shot some great ones Thursday that aren't there yet.

100Macro IS images - a set on Flickr

A never butchered platanus

4396958077_403754921a_o.jpg

Just across the street...ugghhh....there's little reason for euro style whacking/pollarding in the PNW, where most yards are reasonably sizable.

4396958033_2d42fcbcec_o.jpg

A spacey Needle.....?

4396958355_8f7a7efae4_o.jpg

"The" Mountain !!

4396958389_69586b6b87_o.jpg

Another of that grand (but young) platanus

4397724216_07db9ec78c_o.jpg

Wide angle lens are a must for the cool perspective they offer, especially when shooting up into a tree. This was with my 17-40 f/4 L. Eventually, I'll get a 14 mm that has some fisheye effect...but costs about $1400......(That awesome macro lens was $1000...nearly double the non IS old model...ouch....)

Crocus

4399935891_7ddbff4ef6_o.jpg

Edited by rbtree

This cool old maple, 21 feet around, was big when my clients moved in 56 years ago. Sadly, they were recently taken to the cleaners by some unscrupulous hacks who cut off some of the dead wood, took four pickup loads to the dump, and charged them nearly $1400. We removed it, as it is declining and presented some hazard, but only for $2200, as it's quite easy, versus another bid of $3800. We will salvage the lower wood for my craftsmen, and can get that craned for no charge. We'll leave the bottom 6 feet or so in memory.

Old declining Haller Lake Maple - a set on Flickr

We also made TV news. The 2 minute clip isn't on the website. I hope I can get it from the station. This link is to two stories....the first was a major snafu, done by a friend of mine, who should have known better

Search - KCPQ

4223968103_5dd8d43a6d_o.jpg

4223968221_e9996469f3_o.jpg

4370688268_7aae90c68f_o.jpg

Edited by rbtree