Cedar to mill

openboater

I've been offered the chance to price for chainsaw milling 2 standing dead cedars. Sorry , not sure what type, but not red. They are on a large estate in the South West.

They each have about 70ft of useable wood and are close to 4ft at felling height.

They will be taken down by an experienced team. One can be felled complete, one needs to be 60ft max to avoid healthy neighbours.

The customer wants to use or sell the wood but just says 'make it into a mixture of sizes'.

They have no buyers in mind. Who would want it ? I guess it's nice carving wood ?

Is the wood likely to be ok for gateposts & fencing?

If it is I think I can cut a lot into 8",6" and 4" slabs to season and the customer can take them to a sawmill when they know exactly what they need.

What's the deepest cut / longest bar that I would expect to use with a Minimill ?

If I mill the lower half of both trees into heavy slabs for fencing posts and the upper parts in 2"/3" slabs for general use what quantity might I expect to mill on a good day ?

I've not tackled a milling job as big as this before. It's a bit daunting!!!

Really depends on what it is, if it is Cedar of Lebanon, then given its limited end uses, being so soft, i would go for breaking into large cants for processing at a mill into stuff for makers. Its main uses being backs & bottoms, or sometimes paneling. So for paneling you want nice clean stuff, planked around 15mm, and for framing/rails/stiles, a mix of 2" and 1". I cannot say i have ever sold any to carvers, and i am not sure it is something they would use, if they did then you are never going to find enough of them to sell to.

Mind having looked at the posts, Rob may be the one to answer the question as it may be useful for outside pieces given it lasts for ever, it used to be used for fence posts at one time. I never favored any of these applications as it is too soft for most things. But then if people want to have something in garden that will last and are not worried about the dings etc, then it is a good use for it.

Really need to know what type of cedar it is.

Hope that helps i am sure others will follow on to give their thoughts.

Unfortunately I only took one photo when I went to view the trees.

It was almost dark and my photo is if a dead tree amongst a load of others:blushing:

I was TOLD they are cedars. The best book I have suggests they may be Atlantic Cedar or Deodar. I'll try and get a second opinion from the felling team ASAP:thumbup:

I found my shoddy pic and had a go at lightening it enough to see the right tree. It's the one in the centre at the back. The ivy starts about 8ft up and goes to around half height. The second tree to mill is not in the picture but I THINK the others you can see are the same species.

Thanks for your input. Angus .

L1.jpg.058dcfb37a3feb00a41d80c6034bfa64.jpg

\iM TAKING BIG DEODAR DOWN TOMORROW,,,GOT JOHN COMING IN WITH LUCAS TO MILL IT,,,,got job over everyone else who quoted because am going to make em loads out of tree,,,,,,couple of chainsaw carved monster mushrooms,,,,chopping boards,,bird boxes etc,,,,and there paying xtra for it,,,,,,by sat the tree will be milled,,,by next friday they`ll have loads of commissioned goods,,,,,, use your trees wisely,,,,