Splicing legislation

Liam88

I am doing some research into splicing for a dissertation project and looking for the straight up, black and white legislation on splicing ropes for life support.

As I understand is so far:

-LOLER regs requires it to be marked, inspected and strong enough

-PPE regs require a CE mark and competancy

Any other information such as other laws/regulations I've missed, details of CE certification and other info on the SWL limit for life support ropes would be most helpful.

Cheers,

Liam

I am doing some research into splicing for a dissertation project and looking for the straight up, black and white legislation on splicing ropes for life support.

As I understand is so far:

-LOLER regs requires it to be marked, inspected and strong enough

-PPE regs require a CE mark and competancy

Any other information such as other laws/regulations I've missed, details of CE certification and other info on the SWL limit for life support ropes would be most helpful.

Cheers,

Liam

I would do a splicing search using the search button at top of page

sadly a very grey area and will make your head hurt:blushing:

A grey area is one way to describe it I know!!

The reason why I started this thread is because the information is scattered all over the place, has become dissolved into opinions and person interpretation. It would be nice to get the facts down in one thread.

Just to make it clear, I'm not asking for peoples opinions.

liam

IMHO its not that gray people just choose to make it that way, if yoou are doing this at dissertation level yoou will need a lt moor than you have put down there, as things like the HSAWEA, have things to say as do the EU PPE directives, but the reason i say quite clear is if you lok at both lots of ppe regs

the 92 for end user and i think from memory 2006 for manufacturers regs it tells you what you have to do in the absence of a ce mark or self declare like tefelburger have done with the ce climb.

have a read all becomes clear.

kev

Just to make it clear, I'm not asking for peoples opinions.

Presumbly, you meant opinions on splicing rather than opinions on the legal framework? After all, every law must be interpreted in terms of its requirements and implications, therefore opinions on meaning and implementation will neccessarily differ.

I reckon if you reasoned well enough, you could add the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 to your list... :D

Haha! Thank you for your replies.

When you think about it, its actually quite hard to come up with a clear answer!

Think of it this way: If I was going to start selling splices that I had done myself, what legislation would I encounter?

What I'm trying to achieve is to write a report on the legalities of splicing, what is currently in place and what needs to be changed or brought in.

For example, Just been doing some reading on CE marking...please correct me if I'm wrong! It is manditory on products sold in the UK. However, you can claim your product is safe without going through the CE testing as long as it has been independently tested by a notified or competant body(The New Approach Directives).

Does this mean that if I send my own splices for testing and keep a record, my splices are legal????

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam

It was good to finally meet & I hope that your head did not hurt too much after our conversation.

As Arbocop has said earlier, there need not be gray areas within this topic.

I believe that misrepresentations of fact seem to have muddied the water somewhat. These anomalies do nothing to aid our understanding, & do even less for us as a group or industry to find clarity within the way that we are guided. CE & EN numbers seem to be bannered around by some people as a kind of power card; & for what reason I can only ponder upon in the darker crevices of my imagination. Many of the EN standards that we turn to have little relevance to the manner to which the tools or equipment are used, so where is the point in using that standard in the first place.

We turn to rope standards which upon their inception never considered arborist rope use.

We turn to accesory cord or loop sling standards for CE certifying ropes that are produced & designed to be used in a manner within which they are not tested.

And so the saga goes on!!

We discussed what CE is; the conclusion being that it is a trading standard to enable pan European trade to take place with standards being harmonized throughout that geographical region. So what happens if I'm not trading a product but a service?

It's possible to see the issue with clarity, it just takes a while to work out what is clouding the view. Just best to not ask why!!

Regards

Nod