Hedge trimmer blade not working!

arbaholic

Morning arbtalkers!

Have aquired a stihl hedge trimmer blade that is not working. I havent gone to town on it just yet but have done a few small things to try and get it to work. Coverd it in wd40, gave all the teeth a light tap with a hammer, greased it up and its still well seized.

I need to have a look at the gears as there might be a problem there but other then that anyone have any tips or ideas on how to get it working again?

Cheers

I assume it is starting and running but wont drive the blades? Slacken the bolts that hold the blades together so there is a gap between them, if it still does not work open up the casing and check the mechanism inside also check the locating pins/lugs on the blades i have had them break off in the past.

Its probably only seen one drop of grease if any in its whole life time.

Its the long reach blade that tilts.

Its just the blade, when i fit it to a power head it starts and revs but wont make the blades move. Just seized up.

I will have a look at the mechanism and gears when i get a moment. Failing that i will have a look at the pins. Can you explain that a little bit more for me, of the top of my head im not sure what you mean? Even if thats not the problem its something i can learn about for the future. cheers

I loosened the bolts aswell by a few turns, maybe i could loosen them even more.

it sounds like you need to take the gearbox apart. you either have a broken pin or a dodgy clutch but my guess would be the pin.

i take them apart regularly and re-grease them, they last a lifetime.

for the blades i use spray grease or motorcycle chain lube. (not the dry stuff)

No grease then prob knackered the bearings which causes play between the drive cog things in the head which then strips the teeth. If the above parts are knackered then unfortunatelystihl replacment parts are expensive it's not much more expensive to buy a new head.

Hope it's something else though.:thumbup1:

Sadly people just use them and abuse them & forget the basics like good maintenance.

If it were me I would take the box apart, take the blades off give them a good check over and then sharpen and a good look in the box too. clean it all out and re-grease the lot.

Why folk think they save but not spending a little time with some oil/grease I dont know.

Maybe it is this throw away world we live in and some things are just not made to last two seasons like B&Q tools

good luck I hope you can rescue it, let us know the outcome