GIS mapping systems

bob

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a variety of GIS systems over some 20 years covering disciplines ranging from sugar plantation site selection, civil engineering areas, through to forestry production forecasting and duty of care tree mapping.

Essentially a GIS is a toolbox. Just like a toolbox you use a screwdriver for one job and a hammer for another although in some cases you could use the hammer to drive home the screw and if it is a big enough screwdriver “hammer” home the nail.:thumbup1:

Some systems are better suited to certain tasks than others but most should do the job to a lesser or greater extent. One thing for sure is that more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean better. It may have more functions, but do you need these extra functions.

A number of the commercial products available include (in no particular order) AutoCAD MAP, Map Info, Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise, Arc View to name but a few. There are also a number of “free” products out there including MapGuide Open Source, GeoServer, MapServer. For a much more comprehensive list visit Open Source GIS

I respect that this forum is not the avenue to give a sales pitch so I won’t. I would however like to say that investing in a GIS can reap rewards if thought through properly.

Why do we buy a car?:confused1:Fundamentally to travel from A to B (unless you are like Chris Rea or Jamiroquai and the like and simply collect exotic cars) How many people buy a car before learning to drive? Similarly you don’t buy the 1st car you test drive (generally). Before parting with your hard earned cash you consider:

• Petrol or Diesel?

• Will I be able to take the entire family?

• Will I need 4 wheel drive?

• Does it have Satnav?

• How economical is it?

• How reliable is the brand?

• What is it’s on the road performance? Or even it’s off road performance?

….To name but a few considerations.

Similar considerations should be applied to the adoption of GIS software.

First and foremost why do you want GIS? Sometimes when I ask this question the answer is sometimes “because my counterpart in Othertown” has it. This is definitely the wrong answer – but begs the question why does your counterpart in Othertown have it? Then we start getting to the nitty gritty. The bottom line of GIS for trees is to be able to access information about the trees within it’s geographic context – i.e. via a map. Typical GIS tree queries are:

• Show me all the trees to be inspected within the next week
  • Or Show me all the trees with work overdue
  • Or Show me all the trees with high or retained risk classification
  • Or simply show me all the Corsican Pines

Once you have identified your need for GIS you can then get down to the specifics:

• What background mapping data can I use?

• Can I use site survey details

• Can I access data in a database such as MS Access?

• How many people need to view the information?

• Do I need to give internet access to my clients?

• How flexible is it in terms of data formats which can be used

• Ease of Use (although everyone seems to claim that!)

… again to name but a few

There are numerous systems on the market which meet some or most of these needs using GIS or digital mapping at their core. It’s certainly at the core of our software Eye-TREE (AIT Spatial Ltd - Mapping, Information and System Integrators) . Each system seems to address a particular business avenue in a particular way. However even a high level overview of these would be beyond the scope of this posting.

The bottom line for anyone considering investing is GIS is actually quite simple once you have identified the business need for it.:thumbup:

If you want to have a chat about your GIS requirements without obligation please do not hesitate to contact me – either by PM or email ([email protected])

Bob

is this in your LA role? if so stick with what they use as then you can use all the datasets they have accumulated over time and sending data and maps to planners etc will be a lot easier and save you lots of headaches,

If its for private work make sure you dealing with software that will meet your clients needs, and can output files that are useful for them. But mainly choose something that easy for you to use after a demo, you dont want to end up with a product that ends up meaning you have to refer to a 500page manual everytime you have a problem,

Also make sure what upgrades deals you get for the software so after 6months you dont find out they have upgraded it to version ?.?.0001a and that your version isnt supported by them so your on your own with it

Markiesla

Does you software work independantly of AutoCAD?.

Yes completely separate to AutoCAD. You don’t even need to know anything about AutoCAD. You can use AutoCAD information or any of the main GIS formats or even your own database say – MS Access or even Excel spreadsheets. The software is intended to be as flexibile yet simple as possible. See the image below for the Eye-TREE Concept

MKT_EyeTREE_Concept.jpg

Also, what sort of price would you charge for your software?

Given the flexible nature of the software, pricing essentially depends on how many users and how it is to be accessed. Software licence - the 1st user is currently £995+ vat with additional simultaneous users charged at £195+ vat. Initial Site setup and dataload is charged separately depending on your requirements. There are two options available – hosted or installed. The hosted option is a subscription based service using the internet to our password protected web servers. This approach means minimal IT overheads for the user – only a web browser and internet connection is required. We don’t insist on maintenance agreements but should you choose to take that option your system will always be up to date. If not we will support our users as far as possible. If you want to contact me I can discuss the pricing options in more detail.

As Charlieh points out – it is worth digging down to the fine print with software. Some GIS software companies charge a lot for maintenance, or insist on you upgrading, or charge by the minute for support and assistance. Of course finding that information can be difficult . That’s not how we work.

I would prefer not to make this posting a sales pitch – so if anyone wants further details please contact me directly.

I've had a quick look on your website, but I couldn't find any prices so I gave up looking

I hope this helps :thumbup1:

Bob

is this in your LA role? if so stick with what they use as then you can use all the datasets they have accumulated over time and sending data and maps to planners etc will be a lot easier and save you lots of headaches,

If its for private work make sure you dealing with software that will meet your clients needs, and can output files that are useful for them. But mainly choose something that easy for you to use after a demo, you dont want to end up with a product that ends up meaning you have to refer to a 500page manual everytime you have a problem,

Also make sure what upgrades deals you get for the software so after 6months you dont find out they have upgraded it to version ?.?.0001a and that your version isnt supported by them so your on your own with it

LA

we already have a good mapping system but need stuff to run along with it.

Or so i am told

I have not been involved in selection and all the merits as yet.

TBH seems a nightmare but will hopefully save me a lot of wasted time:thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Hi. New boy here, and not an arborist I'm afraid.

I work in a school as science technician. Since I joined last Sept I have been working on using our grounds to best effect. I've built a pond and populated it, started building loggeries for stag beetles etc. Just starting to look at the educational possibilities of the 800 or so trees that we have, which is why I'm here.

I would love to set up a system for the kids to use to map the data that we have. It could use GPS but equally need not - mapping with compasses and tape measures is also educational. Ultimately, a grid of the site with clickable links to give the available data on what is there.

Any ideas, anyone? Please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian

Hello Ian and welcome to the fold :-)

I'm sure we can help you out.

Would a web-based option fit your plans? Is the sort of interrogation you want to do similar to that offered by Westonbirt Interactive Map Would you like to record the trees and add photos, etc as well as the tree details?

Have you considered using AutoCAD WS to draw up the site plan?

Sorry to sound like an interrogation :-) If you want to give me a call pm me and I will give you my number.

Where are you based? just out of interest.

Kind regards

Mark S