Top ten firewood stoves.. allegedly

Angus, certainly not tropical where we live in NZ. We are 30 minutes drive from the ski fields and the Desert Road is often closed to traffic in winter due to heavy snow. Having said that; I spent a lot of time in Scotland when I was younger and it's nowhere near as cold as the winters there that's for sure.

Sorry, I thought you were way up in the top of the north Island, my mistake.

I have a friend from home who emigrated to the north of New Zealand, says he loves the climate there.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get second hand Jotuls on ebay, they are very common.

Yes, and you can get Clearview's and Charnwoods on ebay too - and Steel Clearviews and Charnwoods appear to hold their value at least as well, if not Morso (:laugh1:)than Jotuls, which is why I asked where you can get a cheap Clearview from in the first place.

I've absolutely nothing against cast iron stoves - we now have 3 (soon to be 4)cast iron woodburners as well as 2 steel Charnwoods.

Whatever your opinion is, the majority of people accept that Clearviews are very good stoves. If yours ballooned at the top, you've either had an odd rogue one or you've overfired it...

By the way, what model was it and how much did you sell it for?

I ve always used a stove thermometer, so dont over heat stoves, it was a common occurrance that it warped, it was a Clearview 650 and I think I got £350 for it, but thats going back a few years.

Like I said each to their own, but I wouldnt go back to steel. It doesnt retain heat, its cold in the middle of the night.

Certainly tropical up in the North of NZ that's why they call it the winterless north. Also have a mate from the UK up there. Sounds like he's a beach bunny. Personally I like a bit of cold after a hot summer hence moving to the central north island. I'm still a sucker for a nice fresh crisp winter's day and then home to a rip snorting fire. Something most comforting about it.

Yes, and you can get Clearview's and Charnwoods on ebay too - and Steel Clearviews and Charnwoods appear to hold their value at least as well, if not Morso (:laugh1:)than Jotuls, which is why I asked where you can get a cheap Clearview from in the first place.

I've absolutely nothing against cast iron stoves - we now have 3 (soon to be 4)cast iron woodburners as well as 2 steel Charnwoods.

Whatever your opinion is, the majority of people accept that Clearviews are very good stoves. If yours ballooned at the top, you've either had an odd rogue one or you've overfired it...

By the way, what model was it and how much did you sell it for?

I m not saying Clearviews are bad stoves.

Heres a comparison for you.

Clearview, max 8kw, price £1715, efficiency unknown

Steel construction, double welded.

13ydmkx.jpg

Morso, max 8 kw, price £1585, efficiency 80%.

Cast Iron construction, 2 layers! No welded parts, vermiculite lining.

2mn155.jpg

Do you prefer Cast Iron or Steel?

Do you prefer Cast Iron or Steel?

I think there's a place for both (as long as you're talking about a quality stove in the first place). I've already stated we use some of each.

Morso's are cracking stoves, especially the smallish Squirrel. Mind you so are Clearviews and Charnwoods. I personally think that Clearviews are overpriced in todays market but it doesn't appear to affect their popularity. I think if I had the pick of any stove, for overall build quality, flame picture, general appearance and controllability it would have to be the Euroheat Harmony range of cast iron stoves.

However, as I said before, but I'll repeat it again,:banghead: my original post was in response to your comment that steel stoves "...will not last as long or keep any value..."

which, as anyone who wants to buy a cheap, second hand Clearview (or Charnwood) will tell you is just not true.

Unless you know different...

• 1 month later...

this the list is journalistic tosh at best, i've personally had had various stoves including an 1860 coal range, present stoves include a morso squirell is good for a small one, we had a villager 16kw flat top in the dining room and a rayburn 355sfw in the kitchen, all different but did their job. bst workshop stove was a romesse, or a R6 from the hot spot, both ran on anything timber and gave out good heat.