Landrover Road Tax

bushy

I'm considering buying another landy , would I be right in saying if its a pick up, double cab or van then its commercial road tax and if its a station wagon then your robbed off customs & excise? I also wonder if you fit seats & Windows in a van then does the road tax bracket change ?

Commercial road tax for new trucks is to be £200 per year.

As for station wagons it will be around £950 for the first year, then £435 per year then on.

Land Rover have now removed the option to fit seats in rear of commercials, and likewise the fittings to retro fit.

Any fitment (retro) will be seen as not in accordance with manufacturer and therefore will not be covered on insurance.

It is also no longer possible to change the taxation class following a certain date(not sure what that is though). All new vehicles now are fixed as manufactured.

its not fixed at manafacturer its fixed at registration by the dealer and is what ever the dealer chooses

i know someone whos dealer mucked up and registered there twin cab vw comercial as the wrong class instead of dual purpose vehicle so his tax is £436 instead of somewhere around £200

check what the individual vehicle is

It is to do with the use of the vehicle not the shape.

There are still plenty of aftermarket options for rear seats such as Exmoor Trim, who will supply everything you need if your vehicle hasnt got the necessary bits. It is no longer legal to have sideways rear seats, like the old station wagons had, but again, you can buy fold up front facers if you so wish.

its not fixed at manafacturer its fixed at registration by the dealer and is what ever the dealer chooses

i know someone whos dealer mucked up and registered there twin cab vw comercial as the wrong class instead of dual purpose vehicle so his tax is £436 instead of somewhere around £200

check what the individual vehicle is

My point was in reaction to the question "can it be changed?" It cant. Not bothered who fixes it, you used to be able, on older vehicles to change the taxation class. No longer.

It is to do with the use of the vehicle not the shape.

There are still plenty of aftermarket options for rear seats such as Exmoor Trim, who will supply everything you need if your vehicle hasnt got the necessary bits. It is no longer legal to have sideways rear seats, like the old station wagons had, but again, you can buy fold up front facers if you so wish.

Many of the rules changed in April this year and Land Rover do not offer fixing points for trucks such as the utility now in the "van" back.

The manufacturers removing such options can then pass the blame onto the owner if he were to claim VAT back on a commercial then convert it in an "unauthorised manner" into a "car"

My point was in reaction to the question "can it be changed?" It cant. Not bothered who fixes it, you used to be able, on older vehicles to change the taxation class. No longer.

Many of the rules changed in April this year and Land Rover do not offer fixing points for trucks such as the utility now in the "van" back.

The manufacturers removing such options can then pass the blame onto the owner if he were to claim VAT back on a commercial then convert it in an "unauthorised manner" into a "car"

Ah. I know a farmer who has done just that, admittedly on a 56 plate 90. Naughty naughty...

Thanks for your help lads, as usual its not that straight forward. It has brought to my attention that many of these bargain station wagon defenders are uneconomic.

I just about managed to resist an impulsive buy on eBay that would keep the chancellor happy. Thanks lads.

In what way uneconomic fella?

I must have misunderstood, i thought you were talking about buying new.

What exactly are you looking for? I have a TD5 double cab that will be for sale in a few months if you are interested?

I nearly bought a station wagon as a impulse buy, by uneconomic I meant that I would be paying 235 a year more in road tax for a near identical vehicle with commercial road tax status.