Decay images

David Humphries

the cubical brown rot of Phaeolus schweinitzii within Pine.

Would of made an interesting resonance with a sounding hammer

lovely shot of the nature of this decay on pines with their resinous pits, confined largely to heart rot in pines for long periods, as opposed to larix decidua:thumbup:

A few from last week's sycamore we had to take down, quite a nice 1 showing the transition between decayed timber affected timber and timber yet to be affected.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

1400610115947.jpg.1b49c2c55efa219c792860c89d4c09d7.jpg

1400610093005.jpg.934326d218886e0a8a86f4ed32979f18.jpg

1400610076363.jpg.13d1d6730ed753f49b3adc494b75f71b.jpg

1400610056528.jpg.c6e2dcfb4d3d43730adea0caf429ac97.jpg

Large failed limb on Oak. Showing Brown cubical rot and white Mycelium sheets of Laetiporus Sulphureus?

The decay in that first shot is awesome :cool: the, presumably, Laetiporous decay having munched through the cellulose - enlarging and exaggerating the vessels :thumbup: text book image

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

The decay in that first shot is awesome :cool: the, presumably, Laetiporous decay having munched through the cellulose - enlarging and exaggerating the vessels :thumbup: text book image

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I'm not entirely convinced that what we can see in this shot is 'enlargement' of the vessels by decay, I think the 'holes' are just the cell lumen (the central void within the primary and secondary cell walls)

I think they look 'large' because it's a ring porous species and these will be the large spring vessels.

From how I understand it, the brown rot of Laetiporus will be degrading the hemicellulose & cellulose of the cell wall structures which is surrounded by the unchanged/undegraded lignin within the middle lamella, primary and secondary cell walls.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400613958.806860.jpg.a66858cca56902233049042af45c3b99.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400613979.474270.jpg.3ead5045ea3f4170ccce3f0d1fb13555.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400613996.805798.jpg.2aed9d87a4ee4ca21ae4f158dc75ecf6.jpg.

I'm not entirely convinced that what we can see in this shot is 'enlargement' of the vessels by decay, I think the 'holes' are just the cell lumen (the central void within the primary and secondary cell walls)

I think they look 'large' because it's a ring porous species and these will be the large spring vessels.

From how I understand it, the brown rot of Laetiporus will be degrading the hemicellulose & cellulose of the cell wall structures which is surrounded by the unchanged/undegraded lignin within the middle lamella, primary and secondary cell walls.

[ATTACH]156881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]156882[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]156883[/ATTACH].

yes david, thats precisely why they are enlarged, the cellulose and hemicellulose fibrils are GONE! The hoses have been eaten, stripped out, gone, they have ceased to fill that void:biggrin:

and its pectin in the middle lamella?