Decay images

David Humphries

Thanks sean.

D Lonsdale talks about work he did with Schwartze in the early nineties around 2 distinct varieties.

A darker smaller (northern european) form like ones found in Scotland, and a lighter larger (southern/european) form.

If this is the case, it would be interesting to see how far north the lighter form has progressed

I've read that the differences could be "attributed either to different ecotypes or to interactions between the genotype and its environment"

D Lonsdale talks about work he did with Schwartze in the early nineties around 2 distinct varieties.

A darker smaller (northern european) form like ones found in Scotland, and a lighter larger (southern/european) form.

If this is the case, it would be interesting to see how far north the lighter form has progressed

I've read that the differences could be "attributed either to different ecotypes or to interactions between the genotype and its environment"

David,

There are no differences between the two "varieties" at a microscopical level and I've documented both "distinct varieties" from southern Europe up to Scandinavia on Fagus, Betula, Quercus, Tilia, Alnus, Salix, Populus and Aesculus. I even found both "varieties" twice on the same tree, so there is no distinct "northern" or "southern" variety.

David,

There are no differences between the two "varieties" at a microscopical level and I've documented both "distinct varieties" from southern Europe up to Scandinavia on Fagus, Betula, Quercus, Tilia, Alnus, Salix, Populus and Aesculus. I even found both "varieties" twice on the same tree, so there is no distinct "northern" or "southern" variety.

Interesting as always Gerrit

so what would you say from your perspective, is the reason for the distinct sporophore shade difference likely to be ?

I got the impression that perhaps David Lonsdale was more on about a north & south climatic difference in the distrubution of the two 'forms' rather than just a north/south european divide.

But if as you say, you found both on the same tree, then that kinda rules that one out, unless it was an incredibly masive phoenix tree spread over a particularly large area :biggrin:

Its just aging IMO:001_rolleyes:

[ATTACH]93093[/ATTACH]

Fine shot.

Like yourself & Gerrit, I've seen the two forms on the same tree, but I remain unconvinced that it is as black & white as young & old.

I've noted young forming dark grey ones in Scotland

& large old perrenials in the basque that or very light.

But I guess the really interesting thing with Fomes (here in the south east anyway) is how prevalent it is becoming on Birch.

Fine shot.

Like yourself & Gerrit, I've seen the two forms on the same tree, but I remain unconvinced that it is as black & white as young & old.

I've noted young forming dark grey ones in Scotland

& large old perrenials in the basque that or very light.

But I guess the really interesting thing with Fomes (here in the south east anyway) is how prevalent it is becoming on Birch.

No nothing is ever really black and white, always shades of grey, maybe Fommes is extending its range because of climate change? It would not surprise me, after all most things shift their ranges according to climate and locale condition shifts.

This may just be a long-shot but do you think that exposure to sunlight may affect the colouration of these brackets? With no other plausible answer right now this is just something to throw in to the mix.

I dont think so Marco, I witnessed a good number of light toned Fomes in very shaded Beech woodland in the Basque.

DSC00403.JPG.2a4b1dc9bd2e2c81756aa37f34e113ea.JPG

• 1 month later...