Decay images

David Humphries

Willow looks like it would go on working as a coppice if put on to a 5 -  10 year cycle.

The sycamores look to have good potential for bats, I'd be looking to pollard them.

This particular cluster has a lot of barn owl activity. I wonder if they may nest in one of the crevasse some of them are quite large.

• 1 month later...

I've a piece of alder sat on my desk awaiting dissection to observe the pseudosclerotic/sclerotic/melanin plates and breakdown of lignin due to a Gano colonization, so I thought I'd do a bit of research (I googled it! :blushing:) to see what to expect.

There's not much out there, but you might some of this fellows website interesting David, lots of microscopic images.

http://guiahongosnavarra1garciabona.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/kretzschmaria-deusta-hoffm-pmd-martin.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

I've a piece of alder sat on my desk awaiting dissection to observe the pseudosclerotic/sclerotic/melanin plates and breakdown of lignin due to a Gano colonization, so I thought I'd do a bit of research (I googled it! :blushing:) to see what to expect.

There's not much out there, but you might some of this fellows website interesting David, lots of microscopic images.

http://guiahongosnavarra1garciabona.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/kretzschmaria-deusta-hoffm-pmd-martin.html

Thanks for sharing Gary, looks like a useful resource.

Oddly enough I was in Navarra recently and we met a couple of field mycologists from that region, and saw lots of Kretz colonising the beech trees.

It will be interesting to compare the species list on that blog with the species I've seen over there on my trips.

That's my evening sorted :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, slack ma girdle said:

Pseudoinonotus dryadeus growing from all four quadrants. Nice tree shame to fell it, but overhanging the road.20180316_111210.jpg20180316_115810.jpg
The felling cut went through one one of the brackets, and you can see the associated white rot behind20180316_115802.jpg

Did it look to have as much decayed wood as you thought it would before you felled it ?

Did it look to have as much decayed wood as you thought it would before you felled it ?

I have given up trying to predict how much decay, because i always get it wrong.
There was a similar sized oak further up the hedge with only one small oak bracket and alot less rot. But that fell over a couple of years ago. I suspect that there was another factor, but i never had the time to investigate.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
Fomitiporia punctata (Karst).Murrill. Colleague and I were invited down by a neighbouring local authority to witness the section dismantle of a London plane street pollard with suspected colonisation of F. punctata (previously known as Phellinus punctatus) It was an interesting opportunity to observe the spread of the decay from impact damage and prunning wounds into the core of the wood volume and breaking the through the trees codit barriers. Not much literature I can find on the ecology and significance of the species on this particular host tree but we believe we are seeing evidence of white rot delignification. First image is a google street view of the tree from 2008, second image clearly shows the dysfunctonal bark on the right hand side of the trunk, associating with the dysfunction and decay.
There also appear to be canker type strips flowing down the trunk below the fruit bodys, where the incramental
live wood has been unable to occlude the dysfunctional xylem.
Samples from this tree and control trees further down the avenue are being sent to Forest Research for further annalysis to assess the wood volumes for other wood decay organisms.

720482632_KenrossRd.thumb.jpg.7c867a295de6b21c2c25e527e4f46ae7.jpg

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.c24ecb995d8506e507a578ccbbc79af7.JPG

IMG_8392.thumb.JPG.ef09accba65020097e8e84065e810d2f.JPG

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.20324bc55c2fdb299af0aa731cdad30a.JPG

IMG_1757.thumb.JPG.1653c88605a6b8ef2bb4ced5d35cbad6.JPG

IMG_1770.thumb.JPG.1ab31bdcc6868bf2e23bc8d92f2d74c3.JPG

IMG_1775.thumb.JPG.4116dffcbc6ad3beed0624319fceb08e.JPG

IMG_8403.thumb.JPG.d62ebb6a5df43b16386e138a49c3d19f.JPG

IMG_8404.thumb.JPG.13133751faef1a19bd7514d734d2d0d8.JPG

IMG_1764.thumb.JPG.86aba2a8405d94909d4eb72a3ce586e0.JPG

IMG_1782.thumb.JPG.f2a5d9b8b07f7f63ac51b89cb1698996.JPG

IMG_1780.thumb.JPG.58cd602fcdedfc2efd35de15cb70990d.JPG