Decay images

David Humphries

Possibly has the white mycelial sheets of Laetiporus in the cracks in that cross section.

Armillaria and Letiporus often found on Robinia together.

The last piece I cut fell apart and did indeed have white mycelial sheets separating the sections.

This is a very very nice set David, a good example of the decay.

I would however like to take you up on a small point, is this really a brittle fracture? or a case of buckling after shear as is classic to the T/r theory?

:ahhhhh::tee:

I get your drift Tony regarding the mechanics of the stem failure here, but the cubical brown rot of Phaeolus is described variously by Weber/Mattheck in 'manual of Wood Decays' and again in David Lonsdales 'Principals' as leading to 'Brittle Fracture'

Who am I to disagree :biggrin:

I get your drift Tony regarding the mechanics of the stem failure here, but the cubical brown rot of Phaeolus is described variously by Weber/Mattheck in 'manual of Wood Decays' and again in David Lonsdales 'Principals' as leading to 'Brittle Fracture'

Who am I to disagree :biggrin:

I will confirm this with the masters, but I am confidant they would agree.

I know exactly what and why you say it, I would have too some years ago, raises a issue with the literatures doesn't it, misleading/confusing.:001_huh:

Here's a few of a Lime we felled this week. As you can see in the first photo it was in close proximity to the clients house

Daniel.

Even reduced that would appear to be a timely removal.

Imagine that the garden has lost a fair chunk of biodiversity though, Ganoderma provides a huge habitat range for a wide variety of saproxylics.

Any of it stay put?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...