Today's carving

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful stuff, a set like in your picture from them would be around £3000. £4000 if you include the bench in the background

that bench they made up and had at the top table at their daughters wedding last summer, its great really comfortable

It would be nice to get the time to make things that are practical, i suppose i should make more time to do things like that as the table wouldnt take a lot of making really and when it gets messy you just sand it down again and re oil it

base, steal away!

charlie, i used an angle grinder with sanding attachment to round the edges off.....i can get a fairly good finish with my carving bar but find it quicker to just get the angle grinder out...and i'd never get it that smooth with a saw anyway!

Interesting shape steve it reminds me of stonhenge

Is it cut from one solid log? If it is wont your legs possibly be a bit fragile (short grain) if it gets knocked sideways? Is the thuja wood rare or expensive?

I have made plenty of chairs and stools from cleft or riven wood with (mostly) round taper'd mortice and tennon's to join legs to plank seat. But I now have a small chain saw and I want to experiment with making components by freehand slabbing small oak and ash into simple planks, square legs into square tapered mortice's, and retain the teeth marks, they have interesting patterns and will hold layers of paint glaze in interesting ways, I prefer tool marked surfaces than glassy smooth one's.