Rate My Hinge.

Frank

So long as I'm getting above 5 I'm happy enough!! :thumbup:

Yes, back leaning and back weighted. Felled straight in to aid snedding. Round about two feet diameter on the hinge (just over), don't think the back cut is that high?

Not sure why some pictures are the wrong way round.

There's nothing wrong with it from a felling point of view, but without knowing the situation and looking at it from a textbook standard (which is about all anyone can do based on a pic) I thought the back cut looked a fair bit higher than the base of the face cut. A fault of mine TBH, was told never under but not much more than 1-2" above.

It it was my hinge I'd be happy with it :thumbup1:

doing edge trees that the harvester cant do. I try to fell the trees parallel with the road as opposed to felling them back in the wood against their natural lean. its a lot quicker and easier I find and the brash doesnt cover the cut timber that the harvester cut previously. but you probably know this already. well done.

I don't see how - you can cut the hinge finer as you do not have to compensate for the longer fibres if you think it might be a problem.

Agreed, the fibre pull was just a thought as it does seem to increase with a low back cut and a normal thickness in the hinge. Low back cut also gives better control over direction, particularly if there's a bit of a side lean.

Luftwaffe, these trees were in groups, each seemed to block the other from felling across the racks. It was easier to fell them in with the jack and with the angle of the rack there were only a few branches on the timber the harvester had felled. The forwarder knew we were coming and could have cleaned it out the day before but didn't, so.......

yes I know what you mean. do you cut the whole tree into lenghs or just fell and trim? I just fell and trim and cut the first couple of pieces off if they are too big for the head, the harvester comes along after I have finished and cuts the tree to lengh.

its a hard old game especially if there is a long walk in with all the clobber!!

Cut to length if we have to, only if the harvester has already moved site or is too far away to make it back to process a couple of trees. Most of the time fell and run out if needed until the machine can cope with the branches, knock a log or even two off if the trees are too big. How much processing depends on which harvester is on site. Carrying stuff in can be a job in itself, especially up hill, but if you get a kind operator with a big cab it can help. :thumbup1: Often need to buy them some spray cleaner for the cab afterwards! :lol: