Logs..do you sell by weight, or volume

DN22 Gardening

i would also be interested in any logs ringed between 10 and 18 inch anywhere in the north east even if i had to transport them to a waiting hgv a few miles away. Ive only ever had 1 stroppy customer who threatened me with everything from physical violence to phoning the police because he couldnt get his logs to burn. I invited him to bring some of his logs to my yard where i would have my unlit stove ready to prove they will not only light but burn well needless to say i had them roaring in no time at all he couldnt understand i asked if he had double glazing he said yeah the whole house is so well insulated we barely use anything. I said go home do what i did but open your window while you light it he phoned me later to appologise.

Oxygen starvation its called- usually the reason peoples fires/ woodburners smoke too.:001_smile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubic meter bag only. don't do "loads" as i got sick of being askied "what is a load"

chap rang back to order a few days after i gave him our prices and load sizes i.e. 1 or 2 cubic metres - he said " hello we spoke a few days ago, can i now order the 2 cubic centremetre load please" -

big load, big order:lol:

we sell by bulk builders bag

always called a bulk bag or dumpy bag never a mater cube bag although the telehandler has a weighing device and all the wood is delivered in bags so people can clearly see its a bag full

also dn22 can you not extract with a tractor and then get a truck in or are tractors not allowed either

• 1 month later...
We always sell in CUBIC METRE's. (That's because we sell seasoned wood to happy people) If we sold in the ton I would want fresh felled oak and leave it in a river for a week.

Moisture content will change a little depending on weather and season.

:dito:

Too true!

As for weather and season, goes to show today ive been delivering hardwood logs at 16%, but bet later in the season logs from the same batch will be nearer 20% after a damp winter.

• 3 weeks later...

I cut a lot of firewood for my immediate family and other family members.

I ve had a lot of people asking for loads, but I ve stopped selling, fed up with people not paying, or dropping off a bottle of whisky, thinking thats payment enough, £15 for a days work! :lol:

Most people have no idea of the work involved and the outlay in equipment.

i tend to sell by load , if someone wants to know how big the load is then i will give them the dimentions but i certainly will not go into cubic capacity im not selling loads of sand or similar so im not interested in cubic capatity , if they wanna summise that its x cubic meters then thats up to them .

Edited by combined tree services