More Towing!! :( 2500kgs capacity from a truck/ van

wills-mill

Morning all-

Anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking of getting a van or dropside truck to help out with milling and timber, but I'd need a towing capacity of 2500kgs to take the mill along occasionally.

Any Transits/ Sprinters/ Sherpa types have this?

Iveco 3.5 tonner has gross train of 7 tonnes, so you can load the truck right up and still tow 3.5 tonnes. Wouldnt want to mind.

Transits and sherpas are 5.5 tonne gross train, so fully loaded will only tow 2 tonnes, but if you dont put much on the towing vehicle and keep the gross vehicle weight down to 3 tonne, then you can tow your 2.5 tonne trailer.

Morning all-

Anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking of getting a van or dropside truck to help out with milling and timber, but I'd need a towing capacity of 2500kgs to take the mill along occasionally.

Any Transits/ Sprinters/ Sherpa types have this?

Isuzu or cabstar nothing else comes close! Isuzus have a 3.5 ton towing capability....

Iveco 3.5 tonner has gross train of 7 tonnes, so you can load the truck right up and still tow 3.5 tonnes. Wouldnt want to mind.

Transits and sherpas are 5.5 tonne gross train, so fully loaded will only tow 2 tonnes, but if you dont put much on the towing vehicle and keep the gross vehicle weight down to 3 tonne, then you can tow your 2.5 tonne trailer.

What you carry on the van is irrevalent to your gross combination weight. If you have a 3.5 ton van it will be weighed and counted as 3.5t. This is a common mistake made be people. You can't tow more if the van is empty. The van and trailer will always be weighed seperately and those Vosa boys and girls go to bed each night reading vehicle specs.

We actually do have an IVeco 35c12. It is often nudging 7 tonnes and has never let us down. Travels back and forth to Germany with 18ft trailer several times a month. We have had it chipped tho. Gives you adjustable power as and when you need it.

I'm a big fan of the Iveco's. Go like poo of a chromed shovel, and pull very well.

How's the Rangers holding up mike? still impressed?

Only been back to ford for servicing. Mines a year old pushing 30,000 now, most of which is towing between 1 and 3 tonnes and still av low to mid 30's to the gallon. Everything clutch etc still feels like new. For £14.5k with all leather, air con etc I haven't a single complaint. (After all it is a Mazda)Lol

• 2 weeks later...