Roadside Decay

David Humphries

Can I pick people's brains?

I noticed a semi mature beech (30m at least) with Kretschmaria and Ganoderma on it in a pub/hotel car park about 15 months ago

Directly underneath it are picnic benches, other targets include a car sales garage/workshop, busy main road, the pub, hotel and the car park (depending which way it falls when it goes)

Signs of saprophitic fungi on various limbs at about 3-4 metres

(other trees also had ganos and other fungi I cant remember now)

I asked about and found the owner of the trees (the pub) and took the manager outside to show him and told him that there was a decay fungi on it that will cause the tree to fall over some point and that there are numerous targets

Asked him if the trees were surveyed annually and the implications for his insurance if he isnt able to show that he had taken reasonable care to ensure they are safe? Told him to get an ISA/AA registered bod to come and survey the trees and give him their opinion (ie not a cowboy without any fungi knowledge), and he said he would look into it. I fully believed he would do so

Went back 9 months later, the trees are still there although a lot of the Kretschmaria appeared to have been picked off (?) - no work has been undertaken at all

Firstly, did I overstep the mark by telling the pub manager about it?

Secondly, what do you think I should do now? Nothing? or tell the brewery?

Many thanks

(trees are near Preston in Lancs)

you did the right thing and yes....i would ring the brewery definately.

Having problems finding out who the brewery is...

I just checked - I first reported them in May 2010 and nothing had been done by Oct of 2010

take some photos of beech failures in to show him.....should do the trick i reckon.:sneaky2:

I went up to merrist wood this morning for a walk and look around and sore this brachet which had been fenced off (suprised its still there!).

It seems to be on the root system of a Walnut.

Maybe G. lucidum.

Possibly been fenced off because of it's relative rarity & Id purpose, bit like these two at Highgate woods in North London.

IMG_6897.jpg.b25ad91809825b278019f8cb726313e0.jpg

Maybe G. lucidum.

Possibly been fenced off because of it's relative rarity & Id purpose, bit like these two at Highgate woods in North London.

aaaah david.....you showing off your pet lucidums again? Larry and lisa arent they?......some people would say its cruel to keep such things in a cage. Although it would be a little difficult to release them back into the wild now though.:001_rolleyes:

aaaah david.....you showing off your pet lucidums again? Larry and lisa arent they?......some people would say its cruel to keep such things in a cage. Although it would be a little difficult to release them back into the wild now though.:001_rolleyes:

For the record, both Larry & Lisa get 30 mins of free running around the woods each & every night.

Don't want to get pulled by the Myco protection agency ..........again :sneaky2:

:biggrin:

Interesting combo of Meripilus giganteus (desicated fruit bodies at base) & Daedaleopsis confragosa on trunk

road side on the A355.

Fairly shocked to see this tree still standing, as I noted it had Merip at the base last year on passing by.

Will get on to the relevent Highways authority on the morrow.

Well it wasn't the morrow, but got on to them yesterday.

two fairly lengthy calls, first to National Highways, was then put on to local County Highways (they don't make this easy :sneaky2:)

Upshot is, there going to check it out & get back to me.

Will be interesting if they do & how long this takes.

Weird thing was, that I drove passed it yesterday afternoon, & there was a three car accident right next to it, with ambalances in attendance.

Firstly, hope no one was hurt,

secondly, hope it wasn't some poor highways bod, out looking for the tree taking his eyes of the road.