Land Rover gross weight question.

Big 'Ammer

Really???

I now hate VOSA even more- they had my missus in her lorry 4 times last year, each time on pettier and pettier things which should have been picked up on the previous pull, and told her it was irrelevant how much over she was, the fine was £1000. Yet again they have proven themselves to be morons with no true grasp of the law.:thumbdown:

I know this has slightly derailed into a vosa issue but Tom, take my situation;

I had a "slight discretion" with what i was towing back last october and the result from vosa was "we cannot fine you as you have not committed an actual offence, but dont do it again as you will get done because you've had a warning"

Since then (due to living within 2 miles of a main vosa testing station and base) i have been pulled countless times(in excess of 8) as my landy has been tagged.

Now as it stands, whenever i drive past a vosa car(usually fittted with a numberplate recognition camera) I get pulled for a check.

The irony of this is, out of the many times i have been pulled, i have never been done for a thing. Checked, dipped and tested for allsorts, but never done. they even missed the MOT had expired by a week once, but never noticed.

Gettin tiresome now, even the guys on the pull over recognised me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to derail the thread further, have you checked that vosa have the authority to pull you. I believe that not all police forces have given them the necessary permissions. Worth a check, otherwise start documenting it followed by a complaint.

I've had the results of my compaint that basically said they believe they were acting reasonably and within the law but would review procedures and driver training. Means next time they brake sharply in front of me and I can't avoid an accident I'll be asking for this review of driver training to be shown.

R

I had a "slight discretion" with what i was towing back last october and the result from vosa was "we cannot fine you as you have not committed an actual offence, but dont do it again as you will get done because you've had a warning"

What actual offence didn’t you commit?

Andy

Can you uprate the suspension and change the plates on a transit?

Don't think so, you would need to do the brakes and other things too, but then you would need to have it inspected to show it meets all the relevant regs, (as its would have gone over the manufactures design weights) which for one vehicle would not be cost effective.

The thing with landys is, the 3500kg ones have pretty much the same parts (brakes etc) as the 3050gk ones. And the 3500kg ones have pasted all the relevant tests.

So if you can get your 3050kg to the same spec as a 3500kg, there is no reason for you not to change the plate.

What actual offence didn’t you commit?

Andy

Thought that may get asked:blushing:

I was towing a chipper behind a trailer. It took them an hour to find any documentation about it and eventually found a relevant part saying "one trailer should not tow another" however, there is not a specific offence they could do me for.

The transit is already 3500kg, so you would putting into a different class and need an O liscence.

Scrap men often uprate the springs on their transits! They look like dragsters when empty. Don't suppose they'll bother with the plates! :biggrin:

Thought that may get asked:blushing:

I was towing a chipper behind a trailer. It took them an hour to find any documentation about it and eventually found a relevant part saying "one trailer should not tow another" however, there is not a specific offence they could do me for.

Two trailers,,,,,loving it. I looks into the use and construction regs and the licencing laws with a view to making a trailer with a chipper on a 5th wheel tag on. I decided it would be legal but went against it because reversing would be like trying to push a piece of string.

Anyhow back to the derail……..

This highlights exactly the problem jurisdiction

Your best chance of dropping for a prosecution would have been under the driving licence laws but VOSA don’t have jurisdiction.

Reporting you for licence offences is plods job, same with the expired MOT.

Back to the thread

I will check the design weight on Monday but having been out this morning and rummaged under a 110 SV hi cap and my standard 90 the only difference I can see is a bit of “manning up” of the chassis.

Andy

The transit is already 3500kg' date=' so you would putting into a different class and need an O liscence.

Scrap men often uprate the springs on their transits! They look like dragsters when empty. Don't suppose they'll bother with the plates! :biggrin:[/quote']

Plus air brakes and a tacho. Might as well buy a 7.5 tonner.