Land Rover gross weight question.

Big 'Ammer

Thats interesting Andy. I wasn't aware the replating process was that simple. I was advised that you needed to use parts which had gained "type approval" which is where SV Tech come in. Apparently, so I was told, DVLA would not accept a modification to change GVW unless this process is followed. I have not got that far yet, so I haven't parted with any money. Do you know how I would go about convincing DVLA that the changes were enough for them to issue a higher GVW?

Cheers,

Adam

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff, cheers.

I was of hoping that if you changed the springs to the appropriate spec, filled in the changes on the log book, changed the VIN plate, informed the insurers of the modification, then that would be it.

The vehicle is already class VII tested as a vehicle over 3000kg up to 3500kg.

Hello,

2) Some 110s and all 130s are VIN GVW rated to 3500kg, but the only actual difference is the suspension components.

Sorry Adam not quite correct, If you look closely at 300TDI and TD5 the 110's that LRSV produce for the utility companys at 3500kg you'll also see they have a heavy duty chassis, there is extra plating in the chassis, the rear cross memeber is also of a heavier construction. I'm not sure about a new puma HD110 I will look under the one at work on monday. But I have to friends with Ex utility 110HD's ad they have the beefed up chassis.

Thanks for the correction madmatt. I was told by an indipendant LR dealer who sells loads of ex utility company 110s and 130s that the chassis were untouched, and I presumed he knew what he was on about due to the number he sells. Never mind!

Thanks for the info though.

Does anybody know how to go about approaching the DVLA about uprating, or is it just as simple as sendingthe ammended V5 with a letter explaining the upgrade?

Why bother. Chances are that even when you have jumped through all these hoops and given away £300 for something you could almost certainly do yourself for nothing, you will fill your chip box up and still be overloaded at 3.5 GVW. My defender is 2546kg with 3 saws, a days fuel, 2 ammo boxes of files and chains, climbing kit and about 1/4 tank of diesel, without me in it. I am fairly sure it would be about 4 tonne with me and groundy and full of chip with a lowering kit. So again- why bother- They do you for overloading whether 200 kg or 2000kg overweight. Just dont have a crash. Or go on ebay and buy a plate you can make yourself then plate it to whatever you want. After all the first thing they will look at in that respect is the plate under the bonnett.

Why bother. Chances are that even when you have jumped through all these hoops and given away £300 for something you could almost certainly do yourself for nothing, you will fill your chip box up and still be overloaded at 3.5 GVW. My defender is 2546kg with 3 saws, a days fuel, 2 ammo boxes of files and chains, climbing kit and about 1/4 tank of diesel, without me in it. I am fairly sure it would be about 4 tonne with me and groundy and full of chip with a lowering kit. So again- why bother- They do you for overloading whether 200 kg or 2000kg overweight. Just dont have a crash. Or go on ebay and buy a plate you can make yourself then plate it to whatever you want. After all the first thing they will look at in that respect is the plate under the bonnett.

True, but you can be fined £1000 per ton, so the right plate could save you £450.

When i got pulled for being over weight, i was less than 10% over. So only a £60 fine. Like huck says the fine can be based on how much you are over.

Really???

I now hate VOSA even more- they had my missus in her lorry 4 times last year, each time on pettier and pettier things which should have been picked up on the previous pull, and told her it was irrelevant how much over she was, the fine was £1000. Yet again they have proven themselves to be morons with no true grasp of the law.:thumbdown:

Thanks for the correction madmatt. I was told by an indipendant LR dealer who sells loads of ex utility company 110s and 130s that the chassis were untouched, and I presumed he knew what he was on about due to the number he sells. Never mind!

Thanks for the info though.

Does anybody know how to go about approaching the DVLA about uprating, or is it just as simple as sendingthe ammended V5 with a letter explaining the upgrade?

Probably not. It all depends on the design weight. I will find out what it is on Monday.

If the design weight is 3500kg or more then no physical changes need to be made. All you will need is proof of the design weight, (from land rover) and fill in the changes panel on the V5.

If the design weight comes in at less than the 3500kg, the suspension and possibly the chassis will need a bit of beefing up, then an inspection (MOT) followed by, fill in the changes panel on the V5.

Andy

I changed the weight on a van once, I just sent off the V5 and it came back with the updated weight on it no questions, it was about 10 years ago though so things may have changed by now.

When I got stopped overweight I was let off with a warning because it was less than 10percent. I am more conscious of it now though. I don't see any problem with the law it's the same for everybody, break it and suffer the consequences. What I do have a problem with is the way it is enforced differently, it needs to be enforced equally all over the uk. It's not fair that somepeople are let off and others are given a £1000 fine.

Maybe the consequences need to be more severe. How many people would drive overweight if it was an automatic ban?? At the end of the day the rules are there for a reason, yep I've broken them and been lucky but if it had of gone wrong how would I have felt?

R