Land Rover gross weight question.

Big 'Ammer

What modifications would I need to make to a 3050kg gross LR 110 to up the weight to 3500kg?

I dare say there's more to it than changing the springs and sending in the log book?

Is it economically feasable?

What's the legal side?

Its already on a class VII test. :001_smile:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could try VOSA in Beverley Nige, they ought to know.

Guess i could ask on your behalf soon as its over a month since i was pulled last, so must be due to be chaecked again:sneaky2:

They must have missed you while you've been away ..... :biggrin:

Whereabouts in Scotland did you go, to get away from it all?

Was it Largs? Stevie Blair says VOSA aren't right bothered up there!

:001_tt2::lol:

Edited by Big 'Ammer
added a bit

Did 700 miles in the landy in one week and never got pulled once. Must be a record:sneaky2:

We were at the poor side of Scotland in East Lothian, not the wealthy side Stevie comes from:lol:

Sure it would be worth asking the guys with yellow cars though, after all I dare say you will need to take it to them to be re-plated anyway.

Is it your pick up you are asking about? Is it not 3500kg?

It shouldn’t need re plating as long as you stay under the design weight. (strictly speaking it doesn’t have what VOSA would call a plate). Changing the revenue weight (GVW) is a job for the DVLA and not VOSA’s area of expertise so they may or may not know, I would rely on the DVLA rather than VOSA.

The change will need to be recorded in the V5 and it would be advisable to change or at least remove the (now) misleading plate.

It ought to be as simple as paperwork. The only issue may be proving the design weight. There is a section in the V5 for making changes, you need to complete it and send it to the DVLA with any supporting documentation.

Andy

Hello,

I am going through this myself at the moment.

1) If you own a 110 with GVW reading 3050kg on the VIN plate, then no matter what springs or double springs you put on it, if pulled by plod and you are over that weight then you are liable for a fine. The plate is as it came out of the factory.

2) Some 110s and all 130s are VIN GVW rated to 3500kg, but the only actual difference is the suspension components.

3) To legally carry between 3050kg and 3500kg you need to "uprate" your vehicle and get the VIN plate and the V5 altered by DVLA. The only company I have found to offer this is SV Tech. See SvTech - Special Vehicle Technology. They will give you the type approved suspension upgrades required for them to issue a new plate. It comes in at around £300 for the relevant, approved Land Rover HD suspension.

4) Only once this is done can you legally carry more weight. Plenty of people kid themselves that a set of bigger springs will do. The vehicles are capable of carrying much more than 3050kg, but legally you are limited to what that plate says, regardless of what springs are fitted. If you are involved in a crash and were weighed, the "it's got bigger spring" argument will not stand up in court.

I have found SV Tech very helpful, and I am fitting my new suspension components soon. Once they have seen photographs to show they have been fitted, they will issue a new plate at a cost of £240+ VAT. I was going to just uptrate my springs and hope I didn't get pulled, but after speaking to a copper about it he put me in the picture. Not worth the risk!

I hope this helps, I did loads of research into this so I am confident that I've got my facts right.

Give me a shout if you need any more info,

Cheers,

Adam.

I have found SV Tech very helpful, and I am fitting my new suspension components soon. Once they have seen photographs to show they have been fitted, they will issue a new plate at a cost of £240+ VAT. I was going to just uptrate my springs and hope I didn't get pulled, but after speaking to a copper about it he put me in the picture. Not worth the risk!

Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying the company will charge you £240.00+vat for a new vin plate?

You can buy them on eBay for a couple of quid or even make your own

The only people you need to satisfy that any modifications have been made are the DVLA.

Andy