What's next?

Now that depends which you fancy doing most, if you want to get on and climb, then obviously the aerial stuff is a must, but if you want to be ground-based for the time being then the medium/windblown will be handy. The choice is yours, congrats on a successfull first step tho.

Well, why not, tho it may pay you to team up with someone with experience for a while, so you can see which way you're headed. Also this will help you to see the pitfalls of the industry. I think this next year or so are going to be tough, even for those who've been around a while, so may not be the best time to get up and running.

Hi chaps,

I'm in a similar situation to Stihlwatersrundeep, just done cs30/ 31/38 & doing cs39 next week and have just seen this, could you expand a bit on that comment about this being a tough year please andy.

Its spooked me a bit ! ta.:scared:

CS30 and 31 done (kensey training,top marks good course), now do i do the cs32 and 34 medium trees and windblown, or basic tree climb and cs39 use of chainsaw from rope and harness?

would like to get both but can only do one in the next couple of months, which is better work wise?

From a employer point of view I'd reccomend going for cs39 next, together with a first-aid certificate. Then i'd perhaps getting your brush-wood chipper cert'.

You can then go for cs32, cs34 and 'windblown as and when time and finances allow.

imo don't rush out to do medium trees until you feel you need it - I've only got Small trees and spent the last five years (before going back employed) felling stuff up to the upper size of medium (in a forestry environment) - no questions asked - reckon your climbing ones would be money better spent :icon14:

I do think medium trees etc is a bit of a misleading concept. I was informed that size is irrelevant. the courses teach techniques not size.

for example with a CS31, you can fell a 3ft8 diameter tree if youve got an 088 with a 4ft bar for example.

I did my 30 and 31 just over a year ago. Now ive had a year honing my skills there, Im doing my CS38 at the end of the month and my 39 as soon as humanly possible.

I would get yourself teamed up with someone, get to experience the format someone works in, perhaps two different setups, and see if they will help with on the job training and financing external qualifications. That's what I'm trying to do now

Hi chaps,

I'm in a similar situation to Stihlwatersrundeep, just done cs30/ 31/38 & doing cs39 next week and have just seen this, could you expand a bit on that comment about this being a tough year please andy.

Its spooked me a bit ! ta.:scared:

Didnt mean to alarm anyone, but with the credit crunch, and economic down-turn being this years in phrases, I think arb work may be a service many will hold back on. Of course, it may be that if they cant move house they may want to improve their surroundings, and spend money. We'll just have to see.

Didnt mean to alarm anyone, but with the credit crunch, and economic down-turn being this years in phrases, I think arb work may be a service many will hold back on.

Yep, I agree. It's getting to the stage where everyone seems to be cutting back on things which, in their eyes, are non-essential.