Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

Chaos theory, now that explains a lot!

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

I believe in nature, she is the mother, what she says rules, life or death is in her hands, and nature is the only worship I ever get involved in, and my communions with nature are as spiritually rewarding.

i would agrgue even more so in fact, for i actualy get to communicate with mine and witness it!:thumbup1:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just never understood the need to believe in something more. My retired neighbour is classic for it. She's not religious but spiritual and it's all psychic this and spirits that, greater plan this and I'm too young to realise that.

I think it's still an echo from tougher times for humans where life was truly miserably poor, and the only hope was the promise of eternal paradise. Many people still seek that idea of a higher purpose, and I reckon that's what fuels modern religious belief in western society.

Me? I think we are born, we live, we die. We're a tiny blip in the continuum of existence. The best we can do is leave the place better than we found it. You don't need religion to tell you how to do that.

1. I actually thought it was the rising of the seas and the failure of what was a land bridge between Gibraltar and the African continent.

2. There is also another thought put forward that a huge earthquake around the area which is Turkey could also have caused the Tsunami.

1. The opening and closing of the landbridge of Gibraltar was an ongoing and cyclic process of shifting of tectonic plates lasting millions of years, with the result, that the Mediterranian See more then once completely dried out and layers of rock salt and gypsum were deposited on the basin floor. The present Mediterranean See with the Street of Gibraltar and the Black See with the Bosporus were formed during the latest Ice Age.

2. The only earthquake proven and listed in this area is the earthquake of Antioch, May 526. As the eruption of the volcano of Santorini, followed by a tsunami destroying the bronze age Minoan society, of which today the remains of the buildings and the incredibly refined fresco's and artwork still can be seen and admired at Knossos, took place in 1.600 BC, this is the only tsunami the writers of the bible could have selected as the great flood to threaten non-believers with if they would not convert to the christian religion.

Edited by Fungus

IMO religion, or rather modern religion, i.e christianity was a way of controlling the masses, ensuring complience and power over the ferel hoards. much of it was about conversion

Tony,

The back up of your opinion can be found in the book Failed God by John Rush, who describes the mind control, brain wash and power tactics of the christian churches in great detail. Christianity perverted personal belief and religion (the deity is within yourself) by the active creation of politically and economically motivated organisations called churches, which clergy claimed to be the only mediator with a non-existing god and threatened or even killed everyone disobeying church orders or worshipping a personal deity instead.

Years ago, a Dutch writer, who wrote that God was a donkey, with whom he had anal sexual intercourse, was summed in court and prosecuted for blasphemia. I still wonder how a "deity", of which the existence can not be proven, can be offended by such a comparison and why, if he or she did exist, didn't strike back by killing the writer with a strike of lightning.

Tony,

The back up of your opinion can be found in the book Failed God by John Rush, who describes the mind control, brain wash and power tactics of the christian churches in great detail. Christianity perverted personal belief and religion (the deity is within yourself) by the active creation of politically and economically motivated organisations called churches, which clergy claimed to be the only mediator with a non-existing god and threatened or even killed everyone disobeying church orders or worshipping a personal deity instead.

Years ago, a Dutch writer, who wrote that God was a donkey, with whom he had anal sexual intercourse, was summed in court and prosecuted for blasphemia. I still wonder how a "deity", of which the existence can not be proven, can be offended by such a comparison and why, if he or she did exist, didn't strike back by killing the writer with a strike of lightning.

LOL, :lol:

I kind of relate to budhism, but then thats more a way of life than a religion.

The ying and the yang I can understand and appreciate

Can we have some Hitchens then.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDYbNIHyN0]Paxman Meets Hitchens: A Newsnight Special (1/2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsz9XBhrYA]Christopher Hitchens vs Tony Blair Debate: Is Religion A Force For Good In The World? - YouTube[/ame]

Regards.

Another flaw in christianity is the whole adam and eve thing.

So, a talking snake told eve to eat an apple that god told her not to do. Eve had no concept of, or could comprehend the implications of, evil/wrong etc. So how did she do the wrong thing before 'wrong' was invented?