anyone do turfing?

mikecotterill

did a job today and their after the backyard turfed. Now ive layed turfing before but the ground has already been prepared, ive never actually done the preparation, so this garden is overgrown with weeds, nettles etc. just wondering am i going to have to remove all the weeds etc, or will i get away with strimming it the rotavating it? cheers for replies.

All the jobs that i come across like that i would

a - spray off with roundup as mentioned already

b - spray again after a few days

c - strim and clear as low as possible

d - till the soil rather than rotorvate as levels will all go out if you rotorvate too deep and you only need a bit of a tilth for the turf to get its feet in

e - add topsoil to level, rake over, lay turf.

f - water. once a day in this but give it a good soaking. Lots of short soakings don't encourage the roots to go down very far.

g - sit back pour yourself a cool carling and have a nice cigar and admire!!

ok its a 30 mile round trip to the job so i dont realy want to be going twice to just to put a bit of spray on, so if i sprayed it, left it a week then went back to turn it over, do you think thatd be ok? i want to do a proper job but also cant be making the costs too much for them. cheers for the relpies

All the jobs that i come across like that i would

a - spray off with roundup as mentioned already

b - spray again after a few days

c - strim and clear as low as possible

d - till the soil rather than rotorvate as levels will all go out if you rotorvate too deep and you only need a bit of a tilth for the turf to get its feet in

e - add topsoil to level, rake over, lay turf.

f - water. once a day in this but give it a good soaking. Lots of short soakings don't encourage the roots to go down very far.

g - sit back pour yourself a cool carling and have a nice cigar and admire!!

Ditto but don't water in the blazing heat. Lidl recently built a new store here and turfed an acre or so only to rip it up and start over when it all dried up in the hot spell. BUT, then it happened again - earth calling Lidl?! Had a chap with a hose on it all day in the blazing sun - way to go - scorch and evaporate. :001_rolleyes: Evening watering man.

Personally I'd water a new lawn every other evening, then soak it once a week after the roots have taken.

I also spread slow release fert before laying the turf, had nothing but great results. I really enjoy the odd turfing job, its a nice break from the tree work.

Also don't let the customer scalp the lawn!