Bench Press

Mark Bolam

Are you just flat benching?

I'd look at several things.

Try and add decline bench press and incline dumbell press into your sessions. I like to do flys too, the isolate the chest a bit more.

Which part of your body do you think is letting you down? Maybe some more tricep work is needed.

Dips can help you load up the weight, but they aggravate my shoulder injury :sneaky2:

Do you squat and deadlift? Seems silly, but these can help too, the big compound movements promote natural growth hormones.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the reason mark?

You just want to lift more to say you can or get sronger?

Or are you going for the juiced up mongo look with the two invisible rolled up carpets under there arms. :biggrin:

Have a read through this blog infact go through the full site see how strong this guy is and his training methods, good luck with it :thumbup:

RossTraining.com Blog

Ditto whats been said about incline/decline presses, i've also had success in the past doing a phase of negative only reps/sets, ballbusting but great for breaking thru a plateau.

The triceps will always fail before the pecs doing presses so might be worth doing a bit more tricep work or pre-exhausting the pecs with flies first and then straight into chest press with no rest.

Good luck:thumbup1:

Good stuff coming in fellas.

Triceps deffo give out first, may do dips between bench sessions, but I overtrained for years and am wary of that. Shoulder niggle here as well.

Will also mix up the angles, been purely flat for ages.

Robert, I want to look more like an eskimo/caveman with huge tits and not be able to walk properly.:001_tt2:

No mate, just for strength. When I can rep with 100kg I'll be happy just to maintain that and start beasting the cardio.

Robert, I want to look more like an eskimo/caveman with huge tits and not be able to walk properly.:001_tt2:

You were 97% there last time I saw you Mark! :001_tt2::laugh1:

Sorry I have nothing further constructive to say as haven't done any weights for years - and it shows!

Hey Geordie boy you need to buy my power rack . Its on ebay now . To much heavy pressing has knackered my joints . So I,m heading down the light weight higher rep route . I found benching 5 reps everyday and increasing the weight every other day helped me up my bench . Please note this is only for a short period of time . Sometimes more is less . 104kg is the most Ive ever done for reps . That went up from 80kg over the period of one winter Oct / March with the help of the power rack . You can squat and bench to failure on your own . My new goal is getting to 11stone . Happy days on your quest :thumbup:

DSC00386.jpg.e6471fff31d3f6a17fd90b3e6f12cbb3.jpg

DSC00385.jpg.0db66046914ae75196246b12cbc5de63.jpg