12 hour days

conkers

I have two jobs and careers. I do 10 hrs tree surgery and then go to work after the kids are in bed until about 2-4am. I do this because I have too. or you could say because I am an idiot.

Is your employer aware of this?

Do you think it's responsible?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your employer aware of this?

Do you think it's responsible?

Long term sleep deprivation can have some very strange effects on judgment that's for sure. The strangest thing is that it doesn't effect my moment to moment ability to climb trees and cut bits off with achainsaw. What it does do is reduce my memory, ability to plan any longterm projects and vocabulary. I'm a pretty sensible person and I hold my life as very dear. if i thought i wasn't firing on all cylinders; I would not climb. All my (not that theres many) near misses and accidents have ironically been when I have had several good nights sleep. Besides all this I have after many years of doing arb become unconsciously competent. I know it all sounds abit far fetched, but unless you've been in this situation it will be difficult to appreciate the subtleties involved. Yes My employer not only knows, but he's sympathetic to my situation. I do luckily work for a really good man, who appreciates my abilities.

some people naturally require a lot less sleep than others, are you one of these jason?

Yes i think I am. I'm usually the last to leave a party. I love the night time. yes I can `survive' on as little as 2 hours sleep a night for about 3 weeks at a time then I get some shut eye. I think Lady thatcher when she was in office used to have a similar regime and she was at war with Argentina.

I don't endorse this type of sleep pattern as I said it can have some quite odd side effects. It's probably having an effect on my longterm health too. It will end soon and when I retire I shall lounge around in bed for 10 hours a night.

Is your employer aware of this? What can they say unless your work starts to suffer?

Not sure?

It was a question not an accusation.

I wonder how you would fair as an employer,if an employee had an accident and the HSE found out you knew they were getting very little sleep ?

You've hit the nail on the head Conkers

You have to edge your price up to the point where you find it works then adjust your overheads to suit.

I did see a lot of Tree firms working on my long weekend in Cumbria, I was surprised how many there were!

If you didn't see the tree workers you saw log stores and yards everywhere.

There is about thirty tree companies in cumbria who advertise as such but the world and their kids have a pick up and a saw willing to do the job for favours and beer money.:beer:

Can't complain to much because that is the nature of rural life.

Most of our tree work comes from time and again customers and so called "offcomers" :alien:who will go to the yellow pages for an Arborist bacause they have not known generations of local families who will turn a hand to anything. Especially if it is made of wood!

Not sure?

It was a question not an accusation.

I wonder how you would fair as an employer,if an employee had an accident and the HSE found out you knew they were getting very little sleep ?

I have no idea. But to reiterate a point I made on the HSE thread; I don't think HSE would even investigate unless there was a fatality. But it's a good point and I now feel some guilt in my employers complicity. Yes, Skyhuck bring me down why don't you what a bummmer.:)