Dog damage to trees

David Humphries

I agree with much of the above, however, David I don't think your damage was caused by dogs, it was more likely casued by the mindless moron chav himself - nothing better to do!r

Can you not see the teeth marks on the exposed wood?

It's either the dog, or some slavering rabid psycho down on his knees pretending to be one.

as a owner of a staffy i would ask everyone to remember its only a shameful small idiot filled group who train these dogs to be bad. Ours is most loving dog ever had.

Apologies to you David if you thought my comparison of corgis and staffs to highlight a spectrum of dog owners was too generalised.

The breeds I used should have been more considered perhaps.

Having a dog like yours must lead to uneducated assumptions by those of us that have not had that kind of relationship.

Sadly though, I don't believe that its correct to state that it's just a 'small' group that are using their dogs (whichever the breed) like this, if how wide spread the vandalism that I've been witnessing is to go on.

No offense taken david, its just a passion of mine to try and remind people that staffys truly dont deserve the reputation they have. Winds me up when i am out walking in woods and people see ours and get all defensive and wont talk to me, yet me alone they talk to no bother.

usually if ours sees people, especially dogs or small kids it doesnt know it beats a retreat into woods and watches from yards away - he is shy.

Its horrible the damage the idiots in your area are doing and i wish you all the luck in world catching and dealing with idiot owners who give a loving dog a bad name. they should never be allowed pets.

• Thanks 1

There is one breed I will not go anywhere near and that is Rottweiler. Next door to me has two of them and they are the nastiest things I have ever encountered. I have punched one of them after I walked down my ally and they came bounding up the fence and tried to jump it. Gut reaction was to swing for it. Coughs it clean on the nose and it backed away sharpish.

Everyone who walks past gets it from the dogs, one old women dropped her shipping bags and legged it away. I rushed out and helped her past.

I have already complained about the dogs and the RSPCA women and dog warden has been out but left.

I'm waiting for them to actually jump the fence. And god help the dogs or owners if they jump mine while my boy is out playing.

Do people actually realise that this is wrong though? afterall its just a branch from a tree, plenty more, trees still there. . . i think its only because of us being Arbs we realise this is bad, but joe public will not understand the damage, cost, and unsightlyness of ripped branches, and i doubt people realise its vandalism, criminal damage-its a just a tree, not a window, car ect

We are educated in trees, most are not

Perhaps Police endorsed signage that damage to trees is unlawfull, and carrys a fine upto 20K per offence-i guess they're tpo'd afterall? might be a good start

Do people actually realise that this is wrong though? afterall its just a branch from a tree, plenty more, trees still there. . . i think its only because of us being Arbs we realise this is bad, but joe public will not understand the damage, cost, and unsightlyness of ripped branches, and i doubt people realise its vandalism, criminal damage-its a just a tree, not a window, car ect

We are educated in trees, most are not

Perhaps Police endorsed signage that damage to trees is unlawfull, and carrys a fine upto 20K per offence-i guess they're tpo'd afterall? might be a good start

most of the type of damaged trees I'm seeing are protected trees but not all.

Problem with signs, is that residents associations don't really want 'more' interpretation in the parks & open spaces.

Did you see the new pictures I put up on the bottom of page 2 Josh?

A bit more than just a branch & something that is happening far more regularly right across the capital from the notices I see from other London Tree Officers (and no doubt other towns & villages)

I have seen this damage in Cheshire and Lately in Stoke On Trent . Its a sad thing to use a dog as a status symbol . I was amazed to see young girls of 16 /17 also participating in this type of activity albeit using a car tyre tied to a council tree . Then on the other hand there is a local lad who's hands and face are covered in tattoos he owns a beautiful white staffordshire bull terrier and he is an absolute star . This lad helps within the community and works full time . He regularly visit's and helps the elderly and special needs within the community.

Its a shame when people who don't know him instantly judge him .

Again as already mentioned its the owners who are at fault . The dogs just pleasing the owner .

If it were up to me I'd bring back National Service .

Overall this is a very large problem tree damage in general . :001_smile:

yes, i know its bad, i was just putting myself in their shoes, what they might think, i honestly dont think they see it as criminal damage, a little education at the source might go a long way and far mor practable, cheaper and less intrusive than enforcement officers, cctv ect

A simple sign, police force logo'd, big picture of a dog hanging off a branch with ILLEGAL stamped across it at the enterances to parks could go a long way, how else are you going to get the point across?