Dog damage to trees

David Humphries

I'm not a dog owner, so have no concept why the chavy "weapon" dog brigade, need to train their mutts on tree branches, beyond the obvious.

But it ain't arf mind numbingly stupid and incredibly anti social

I'm thinking that our constabulary dog handlers should retrain these "status" dogs to chew on some chav meat instead.

The following is a quote from a London Tree Officers guidence note on Dog damage to Trees. The figure is based on the CAVAT sytem of tree valuation, from one borough over a twelve month period............

"Damage caused to trees by dogs is increasing in the

capital. One London borough estimates the damage

caused to its own trees is in excess of £1 million."

(I'm aware of the branch canker, btw)

A million squid!:scared1:

Jeesh that must be some damage!

Although since no one seems to be able to stop idiots with illegal dogs I doubt they could be very effective at stopping them damaging trees.

Plus everyone knows my stance on dogs.:sneaky2:

The bigger terrier breeds love this game, me and Buff had thousands of hours of good old rope time over the years, but this is one game i never understood.

As for attack dogs, ive never met one yet that didnt back off the minute a hand was shoved down its throat! A thumb gripped into the roof of the mouth is also very effective!

What do we do about these tonkas though? ban the breed? they will pick another, ban dogs? i would leave the country!

as for knicking them or fining them, why bother, they will cost us a fortune in legal aid cos they are on benifits, they will pay the fine at 2 pounds a week and it will cost us more to administer the debt than we claim.

i have suggested TPO as a blanket for all trees, maybe this could enable a law preventing damage to trees on ANY scale be that dog training or drunken ***** snapping new plantings?

extreme i know, but how sick are we all of the damage?

and the cars sharpening up thier bumpers on butts, only for us to see a gano fruiting on it ten years later.

Bottom line, people dont respect nature anymore, they need a wake up call, and it isnt just these "chavs"

crown lift everything to 3m, problem solved. A pole pruner is about £500, a micro chipper is about £3.5k, plenty of spare man hours in council time, job done.:001_smile:

The million pound thing sounds very high for the 'tut-tut brigade' but maybe the dog owners are just playing with their dogs, how many trees are there in London and how much money is spent on their trees in total for a comparison.

How much money was spent out your budget on fracture pruning last year Dave?:biggrin:

Come on guys, have you never swung from a branch as a kid and its snapped in full swing?:sneaky2:

Stephen, being up there you probably dont relise the scale of this issue, its a chavvie london thang, These street crews use these dogs as status symbols, for fighting and as a gun replacement "soft option" they train thier dogs this way, in parks on trees and its an increasing issue down here.

There is this strange perception amoung these lads that avvin a big fierce dog makes you ARD innit

The trees we took down had the bark chewed off from ground up to about 6 feet Stevie, so the crown raising option wouldn't work.

Firing paintballs filled with gravy at anyone caught 'training' their dog like this might be good fun, though!

Oh dear, a neck shot!:sneaky2:

The trees we took down had the bark chewed off from ground up to about 6 feet Stevie, so the crown raising option wouldn't work.

Firing paintballs filled with gravy at anyone caught 'training' their dog like this might be good fun, though!

Oh dear, a neck shot!:sneaky2:

:lol: thats the funniest thing ive heard you say!

can we freeze the gravy paint balls first though!:thumbup:

• 2 years later...