Qualifications.Important or not?

Mike Hill

so do i!!!! the colleges and training centers dont have the cash or resources to provide graduates with skills like that imagine the cost of trying to train 20 students to climb, cut, rig and process trees in the uk. we only have around 20% tree cover in the uk and most of it is commercial not good for sectional felling when it needs to be sold!!! if we lived in an ideal world with loads of cash and unlimited trees of varying species it could be done however, we dont which is a real shame.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualifications are tosh

Some people have it, some dont. If your thick and stupid with no common sense then your are always going to be thick and stupid with no common sense

Come on Dean, don't beat around the bush, tell us what your really think mate!!:001_smile:

P.S I totally agree!!!!:thumbup:

How do we measure experience, it cant be put in a bottle to see how far up it fills it. I am experienced now in several "skills" and am certificated in some of those skills. But those certificates I do have do not measure the level of skill or experience I have. Therefore on paper I am less "skilled" than many college leavers. Some claim x number of years "on the tools" but may be fencing, landscaping, doing a bit of brickie labouring etc in that time, my time is daily time on the saws, so in practise I have many more hours under my belt. Personally, at nearly 46, I'm sort of where I'm happy, I'm still learning new skills, and lovin it!! Yes, qualifications have their place, and thats alongside experience as CPD.

CS30 Chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting

CS32 Fell medium sized trees (or CS31 -small trees, if this is the only work the operator is undertaking)

CS38 Climb tree and perform aerial rescue

CS39 Use of chainsaw from rope and harness

These are the tickets that I have to refresh to be able to gain approved contractor status with a local authority, it's hard to obtain any straight information regarding what actually constitutes 'refresher training' as views and opinion seem to be divided depending on who you speak to, forget any logic you may have in your head for logic or indeed experience means little or nothing in this modern world of Arboriculture.

As soon as I have the funds I will be refreshing these units, not because I want to but because I have to.

CS30 Chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting

CS32 Fell medium sized trees (or CS31 -small trees, if this is the only work the operator is undertaking)

CS38 Climb tree and perform aerial rescue

CS39 Use of chainsaw from rope and harness

These are the tickets that I have to refresh to be able to gain approved contractor status with a local authority, it's hard to obtain any straight information regarding what actually constitutes 'refresher training' as views and opinion seem to be divided depending on who you speak to, forget any logic you may have in your head for logic or indeed experience means little or nothing in this modern world of Arboriculture.

As soon as I have the funds I will be refreshing these units, not because I want to but because I have to.

I don't really know you that well mate, but having seen pic's of you working, that is utter and complete cods wallop. In fact its pretty insulting!!!

Why oh why do the people from our industry who advice the powers that be advocate this sort of nonsense??:confused1:

I know many of them are involved in providing training, you don't think they see it as easy money?? NO surely not!!:sneaky2:

i agree with Huck, in a normal world a couple of pics of you dismanling a 100 foot dead welly with a crane in the middle of the town should be enough. I did all my tickets last year Carl as you know for the very same reason mate. luckily i had a wee bit saved up and got some good advice from here