Aerial rescue

Steve Bullman

I thought it might be helpful for people taking their aerial rescue if we discuss the assessment and criteria. Its been a few years since i did mine and i forget whats require(plus its all probably changed by now)

When i did mine we did 2 rescues....one aided, one unaided. the guy i was working with today mentioned theres a pole rescue included now also.

maybe someone can confirm this and we can discuss the various techniques from there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year it was 2 from 4 rescues. Our course tutor said that everyone will do a basic rescue (attach to casualty and operate both climbing lines to return to ground). A lot of the assessors will then basically 'draw straws' for the remaining rescue to be performed. Two candidate assessments will be completed by the assessor so you basically have a 3:4 chance of either being a casualty or having to perform the pole rescue.

Nobody wants to do the pole rescue but I would prefer doing the rescue against being the casualty :stickyman:

NPTC assessment link: http://www.nptc.org.uk/assessment-schedules/

Its now climb trees etc, not CS38:confused:

i'd imagine a pole rescue would be quite a challenge, particularly for a student

yes mate,was a challange even for me,he made the victim hang from his strop so he was wedged against the stem make it really hard to get above them then ya installed a pulley and strop,then the fun part was securing them to the lowering rope.dunno if they've changed how ya suposed to do it now but at the time it wasn't a quick process belive me

Edenarb - used to be Cs38 (Cs= Chainsaw), unit does not include the use of a chainsaw hence the name change to "Level 2 certificate of competence to climb trees and perform aerial rescue"

A candidate completing the current CT&PAR, must undertake at least two aerial rescues. Compulsory rescue method A that all candidates must demonstrate is a rescue of a casualty with an undamaged rope long enough to descend on. The candidate carries out an aerial rescue of the casualty using both climbing systems to descend.

The candidate must then carry out a second rescue of a casualty using a different technique. The assessor selects a second rescue method to be demonstrated , this rescue must be from one of the following scenarios:

a. Where the casualty's rope is either damaged, trapped or too short to descend on (2 person team)

b. Where the casualty's rope is either damaged, trapped or too short to descend on (3 person team)

c. Rescue from a 'pole' (standing stem) using climbing irons (spikes) (2 or 3 person team).

yes mate,was a challange even for me,he made the victim hang from his strop so he was wedged against the stem make it really hard to get above them then ya installed a pulley and strop,then the fun part was securing them to the lowering rope.dunno if they've changed how ya suposed to do it now but at the time it wasn't a quick process belive me

Don't forget the figure 8 was used...:D