Riko Log Splitters

dave28

Just to give a bit of balance I'll post my experience of Riko. From much earlier threads on here & from Riko's website I had more or less decided on what I wanted. Took the trouble to go to APF & look at the machine & try it out. Spoke with Chris & other guys. Ordered the A11V.

I realized the machine was very heavy & would be almost impossible to move around on anything other than level concrete. So, went for the 'trailer' as well.

'Trailer' is a bit misleading since it's not a flat bed. It's really just an A frame with the tow hitch at the top point & wheels on the two bottom points of the A. The splitter sits in between the wheels; pivots up for moving around which is dead easy even for a 9 stone weakling like me & pivots down in your chosen position for splitting. In my case, the splitter nevers leaves the 'trailer'. I tow it to my yard & then can move it around the yard (grass, mud, sawdust & gravel) with ease.

So, it's not another trailer taking up space, it's a very easy to use means of moving around a heavy piece of kit.

I've had nothing but good service from Chris (whilst he was there) & from Jim. Riko may be struggling a bit at the moment but I can't imagine they wont sort it out.

Hello Ady, if you want to discuss further please email us. I'll be happy to try and help find a solution. Alot of people are happy with the placement of the wheels, we also supply a trailer unit for people who want a bit more portability.

This is the first I have heard about the trouble you are having.

Now I really must go and get a life, I dont work weekends!

Thanks for the reply jim i look forward to hearing from you.

i understand that you may be under pressure but you must understand that i am also under pressure to get this equipment sorted as i have a potential deal that i need to make and will not be in a position to make it until i have arranged all of the machinery.

I unfortunately do not have the luxury of having my weekends to myself as my business is in its early stages and the only way to keep up with the current competition is to eat, sleep, and breath work, to just keep above water. All i ask is a bit of communication and i would be happy to wait.

Many thanks

Rich

I bought a 16 ton petrol mobile log splitter from Riko last year, over a PTO model, as I can transport it to jobs quickly and it is very versatile, and doesnt tie up a tractor. Good customer service from Riko espescially chris Sheppard, although they do go to alot of shows. The machine is awesome, and I am very pleased, it will split up sections just over a meter long and up tp about a meter in diameter. I have been happily splitting hornbeam all winter.

PICT4729.JPG.6b1349e748137a6d90a63664adb80c3d.JPG

PICT4727.JPG.7d2c00a6fd89bc35368bb3b5e9672a1a.JPG

PICT4726.JPG.3870c4bbe2a28fe7ab2991c221907c1d.JPG

PICT4725.JPG.4a5e33913cf94a4bc834da1d6fe9e98a.JPG

FWIW when i ordered my riko it was delayed at the factory for quite some time,, chris loaned me their demo machine until mine arrived,, this was great service that was much appreciated,

also for the record,, i've not complained about the service from the UK guys,, it's more the stupid design of the wheels and the attempt to fix a problem that was never there,,

and the solution is one that is going to cost me time/ money...

Yeh your right but its just a shame as looking at what most other people have to say about them they have built up a great reputation for them selves so why throw that away by such a simple thing like customer communication!!

Got my splitter now and so far seems great. Now looking into alternative trailers.

Jim from riko contacted me today with a some great info and advise. Thanks allot.

• 1 month later...
Thinking about buying a splitter this year and Riko looks like a good bet.Wondered if anybody has any thoughts about vertical vs horizontal and tractor hydraulics (Fordson Major) vs pto pump.I want to split longer length billets, any body had any experience of splitting longer lengths on a short stroke splitter with adjustable table height (Riko A12V/1000).I'm guessing that some stuff will split right through and come apart but knottier and stringier stuff is just going to get stuck, any thoughts on this much appreciated.Thanks.

First thing is to find out how much flow you tractor has (Tractor data dot com) and find out what the splitter needs.

Some of the better known makes are Thor, Riko, Balfor (which I think comes out of the same factory as Riko ?), Wallenstein and AMR (sold by Ryetec).

The Rikos look to be very nice splitters and their prices seem good.

I have an AMR 12 tonner and it is very capable of splitting the toughest Elm.