Riko Log Splitters

dave28

Thinking about buying a splitter this year and Riko looks like a good bet.Wondered if anybody has any thoughts about vertical vs horizontal and tractor hydraulics (Fordson Major) vs pto pump.I want to split longer length billets, any body had any experience of splitting longer lengths on a short stroke splitter with adjustable table height (Riko A12V/1000).I'm guessing that some stuff will split right through and come apart but knottier and stringier stuff is just going to get stuck, any thoughts on this much appreciated.Thanks.

RIKO stuff rocks! Bought my A11 after almost a year figuring out what I wanted and I was really anal about the spec and price etc etc. Absolutely no regrets; great machine and great company to deal with. Totally recommended.

I prefer vertical but I think that's less important. From what I know; having a pto pump is ALWAYS better than having it off the tractor hydraulics - considerably so.

I use a 30 ton petrol splitter. It can be used horizontal or vertical. It is a fantastic bit of kit. Mine will split wood at least a couple of feet long with ease. When it comes to knots it will do them too but you will probably find that it doesn't look pretty where the knot is.

We run a thor 12 ton vertical that can split 40" logs, on the back of a Nuffield 10/60. The power is fine for most logs, but the return speed is a bit slow. We some times use a 100hp Same, which doubles the speed of the ram. You may find that the flow rate and the hp of the major (50 i think) gives you a very slow splitting speed, and not able to cope with knotty wood

One of my best friends lost three fingers past the knucle on his left hand and four past the knuckle on his right when using a horizontal splitter a few years back. Needless to say that one ended up with the scrapman and was replaced with a 12ton Ballario & Forestello electric vertical splitter with the twin handles from RIKO. Much safer and very easy to use.

We do metre long billets on arrival, leave them to season and cut them to size when ready for sale.

We have tried vertical and horizontal but have settled on this 22 pto pump horizontal splitter from Riko:

arb_split5.jpg.0d40af7e5a6b91faaa73d5328f4aa29e.jpg

arb_split1.jpg.67407c69cd670d263c5a165a73db24a0.jpg

arb_split4.jpg.6f69a61a189628e1beea7d75971dbb29.jpg

i have an AV12, it's only a month or so old as well, it's a great splitter BUT

riko have moved the wheels so that they sit in the middle of the splitter,

this makes it so difficult to move about in fact i'd say it's dangerous! i have lost control of it twice now and it's fallen over on one of those occasions,,,

i asked for another axle to put where they used to be and was told fine no problem but i'd have to pay for it,,

not happy about it to be honest...

i have an AV12, it's only a month or so old as well, it's a great splitter BUT

riko have moved the wheels so that they sit in the middle of the splitter,

this makes it so difficult to move about in fact i'd say it's dangerous! i have lost control of it twice now and it's fallen over on one of those occasions,,,

i asked for another axle to put where they used to be and was told fine no problem but i'd have to pay for it,,

not happy about it to be honest...

How dumb is that; axle in the middle... sort it out Riko - keep it sweet please. Axle of my a11 is at the back so you can tilt and walk.