powerline live

BTS

what are the laws or rules to working near live powerlines hv and lv, and how do you determine wether to work near a live line, this is for a presentation iam working on. i dont carry out work on powerlines myself so struggling to find information apart from afag guide

BTS, simple rule is - unless qualified, don't go or have anything go within 1.5m. Call the REC and let them handle it, they pay suitably qualified and insured contractors to carry out close proximity work. That's 1.5m for lv, bigger for hv - mega distance for 132kv - act of parliament for 400kva.

Try contacting one of the contractors like BTS or Connaughts for their view.

You need to find a copy of G55, I have one in the truck but unfortunately no scanner at the mo

Isn't it G55/2 now:sneaky2: But if you look on the NPTC website at UA1 that will show what is involved with working near power lines.

which DNO does this come under, I can point you in the right direction for EDF.

As others have said, unless you have the correct tickets, insurance and DNO approval you are better of staying clear.

depending on the voltage, they may give you a shut down to carry out the work

If time is hanging heavy on your hands, wade through this thread...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/15234-climbing-near-powerlines.html

There is some excellent advice here (like mine, ha ha):sneaky2:

but also some superbly lousy stuff to (see if you can spot who)

Of course, its all out of date now, as G55/2 becomes more widely implemented.:blushing: