woodturning

pyro

Hey Ben how's that HF coming?

-thought I'd show a pepper mill, well 2 pepper mills, 1st one was a fail, that I'd made yesterday and tonight.

Made from apple, about 14" tall. 1st 4 pics are of mkI - deep jam chuck and simple steady rest, between centres, finished and the fail - eccentric capstan. Last pic of mkII, shame the wood is not as interesting as mkI, but will still make an ok xmas present I think.

59765f3dda825_Peppermill-MkII.jpg.8d384bbeeedfb37a00c5a351e597dff3.jpg

59765f3dd824c_Peppermill-Ecentric.jpg.951cf5d80a0891b32643e98a58864d4a.jpg

59765f3dd648e_Peppermill-MkI.jpg.c786db3df15a35ab41019f3820d92ea1.jpg

59765f3dd3c61_Peppermill-betweencentres.jpg.86d7ea6b45e115427f4dd49d239a406f.jpg

59765f3dd096f_Peppermill-steady.jpg.e900f1838a44b5ada9839e86c1e6e93a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey hope you all had a good christmas!

THe hollow form went down well with my grandmother (which was who it was for!) but i didnt get any pictures as i ran out of time. along with most of the other presents i made!

I got one present here still as it needed some minor tweaking:

I got the idea off a google image search I dont know whos idea it is/was...

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

After alot of watching and failed bidding on ebay finally managed, a couple of months ago, to get a lathe(Axminster M950) with tools, oneway chuck and quite a few blanks. After a some trial and error and following advice off here, books and youtube vids, I've managed to make a couple of christmas presents. A cake stand for my sister and a bowl for my mum, both oak. Also a yew candlestick.:001_unsure:

CIMG1205.jpg.4ab49e9a50ef60fabb439342d0e7eb8a.jpg

CIMG1202.jpg.5ff98c8a41c4175fe9dcf4dc438449a0.jpg

CIMG1201.jpg.860ea4caa075e07d7393c88a6a80ad5c.jpg

I like them stevie-b!

Very good! The cake stand could be useful the house here for my mother (does lots of cake decorating!)

Id look into the haydenhd channel on youtube, you can see everything he makes and how he holds tools etc. Taught me loads!

Whats sort of finish have you used on the items above?

Ben

Cheers Ben, both were well received.

I've had a look at hayden, very helpful.

The candlestick was finished with liberon friction polish, the bowl and cakestand were finished with sanding sealer then chestnut woodwax22, except for the top of the cakestand and the inside of the bowl, just put foodsafe oil on them.

Steve.

Hey Ben, I guess you could call that a 'cup chuck' -just a deep jam chuck to give the mill body more support for boring out the ends. Although TBH it was a waste of time, a lot of farting about to get the diameters correct, with the mkII pepper mill I didn't bother, just held the body in the 3J chuck in the normal way. Actually on the 1st effort I spent a good 3 hrs, 2nd one only took 3/4 hr, I had pre-drilled the through centre bores of both on a friends lathe, as my Wadkin (between centres lathe) doesn't have a chuck...

Fantastic clock BTW, never seen that design before.

Good stuff Stevie-b, great finishes. Thanks for sharing.

I keep meaning to get some friction polish, I just never get round to it or have a spare tenner!

Wasnt the lathe in the first pic home made? Certainly looks sturdy!

It a bit of trial and error with the clock, snainton woodturning had some clocks discounted so just had to get one a few months ago! It is suspended with a black leather shoe lace, all the bits are made of yew, some of it a bit green so ill have to see how it fairs.

thanks!

hope you all had a great christmas and a all the best for the new year!

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt the lathe in the first pic home made? Certainly looks sturdy!

Heavy duty it is, still work-in-progress, but it works pretty well. The tool post needs some work though as it is only made of light gauge box, which is not rigid enough for coring... bent this coring tool - on the flat, this is 35x5mm bar, only made of mild but even so.

Other pics of some unknown wood, possibly Blackthorn? Any ideas?

Red-yellow2.jpg.db54a92d2c4e0506fd89bf9250918c4e.jpg

Red-yellow1.jpg.13214fe7e5112a80d53467565febc426.jpg

59765f72ef6cd_Bentcoringtool.jpg.20e2d07130acf77c82671ab3f6ce205b.jpg

It is very interesting wood, Ive no offers what it is though!

Heres my latest creation:

Yew Goblet, semi-green/wet wood.

frogandlilli082.jpg

frogandlilli081.jpg

frogandlilli080.jpg

One of the guys i volunteer with at the BTCV is/was a keen woodturning and was throwing out all his copies of woodturning magazine, so I managed to get all of last years off him! thanks Allan!

cheers

Ben