woodturning

pyro

Cheers Ray, nice hook tools. I'd like to have a go with that type of tool some time.

Glossy spray finishes - turned this over the weekend, really nice piece of spalted Hornbeam, thought it would be a good idea to give it a glossy finish... 4 evenings later, I think I should have stayed with the sanding sealer and Danish oil combo. The pics don't show it so well, but it is very shiny, although there are a few patches that haven’t covered well including the rim around the small opening.

Has any one found a good recipe for a good gloss finish, I've yet to find one that's not a real pain and slow.

59765e4345256_HornbeamHF4.jpg.654b14ccd75be569cd52a637937b1d52.jpg

59765e43429fa_HornbeamHF3.jpg.b096f43a2fd4f35ed998bb2262802014.jpg

59765e433fd6e_HornbeamHF2.jpg.2ec78cff44b3fa32e1287c5bd0031a1a.jpg

59765e433ce58_HornbeamHF1.jpg.c98cb6a66c6d257707349890488fef8e.jpg

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is stunning Flames! good job!

As for high gloss finishes: most of my stuff is finished in libernon pastewax (im currently trying some wood wax 22) I do have some melamine laquer for smaller objects, but as you say it is a pain in the ass to get a good even finished with it. Ive never used spray mind, always thought it was faster but youve just prooved me wrong!

I was at the wild about wood festival last weekend, and headed straight for the wood blank tent, spent 18 quid and come out with 6 fair sized oak and elm burrs, along with somthing that just looked interesting!

Ben

Thanks for the +ve comments!

I've not used Bee's & libernon wax, but I have used WW22 & Carnauba wax a bit. I've had mixed results, but found that they don't keep a good shine after a bit of handling. + I think these fall into the pain in... category?

I probably just need more practice with them.

Deer man, Duracote and Cerakote - this looks interesting, not heard of these before, where do you get it from?