Root pruning

Amelanchier

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hidden
Will you be monitoring the affect of this. It looks a fair size to be severing.

effects

I agree, does look big, I guess on some sites of buildings where major root cutting is considered necessary the canopy is lopped a bit in an effort to compensate?

We were limited as to where we could sever in terms of the boundary and from our persective it was preferable for us to do the cutting than leaving it to contractors.

There's very little in BS3998:2010 on root prunning other than cutting to as small a diameter as possible and leaving clean cut surfaces.

We will probably take the oportunity to open up the ground with our airspade at some point to see what's going on around the wound.

In terms of what effect it will have on this particular tree, a root wound is the least of its worries :biggrin:

IMG_7082.jpg.5755fcb4fdc587c15dadf7dbfab2140a.jpg

IMG_7080.JPG.81e98ad2a24bec15d8776eb45495f955.JPG

IMG_7084.jpg.bce9712e6373fc3b268c2f47d1506626.jpg

Hidden

I hope my post didn't come across as a criticism David, it wasn't meant to be. I was surprised at the diameter at the distance, and hoped you'd be following it up. I image that any decline will be very isolated (vascular channels and all that)

Opportunities to study cases like this are pretty rare, so it would be good to see what the results are. Strangely enough I've looked at a school this morning, where we may have to do some root pruning due to damage to the Tarmac.

Hidden
I hope my post didn't come across as a criticism David, it wasn't meant to be. I was surprised at the diameter at the distance, and hoped you'd be following it up. I image that any decline will be very isolated (vascular channels and all that)

Opportunities to study cases like this are pretty rare, so it would be good to see what the results are. Strangely enough I've looked at a school this morning, where we may have to do some root pruning due to damage to the Tarmac.

Not at all Gary, I'm all about sharing the 'warts n all' side of Arb :thumbup:

I will make a point of sharing what ever we find going on down below in 18 months or so.

The actual tree is down for reduction due to the Ganoderma decay which has established after being subjected to a lightning strike.

Hidden
Not at all Gary, I'm all about sharing the 'warts n all' side of Arb :thumbup:

I will make a point of sharing what ever we find going on down below in 18 months or so.

The actual tree is down for reduction due to the Ganoderma decay which has established after being subjected to a lightning strike.

Would it be worth waiting till you can confirm chalara? Otherwise you are going to be spending tax payers money twice. I have seen reduction's being carried out recently on ash that are 50% dead due to this disease would the landowners money but better spent on removal cos they will be miffed when the tree is dead in five years.. We felled yet another roadside ash today where the tree survey asked for pollarding which seems crazy if the tree is riddled with chalara and along a major road. Ash just are not stable when dead. It is getting very severe here now in north norfolk we searched a whole parish today but could not find one un infected tree of any size.

Hidden
Would it be worth waiting till you can confirm chalara? Otherwise you are going to be spending tax payers money twice. I have seen reduction's being carried out recently on ash that are 50% dead due to this disease would the landowners money but better spent on removal cos they will be miffed when the tree is dead in five years.. We felled yet another roadside ash today where the tree survey asked for pollarding which seems crazy if the tree is riddled with chalara and along a major road. Ash just are not stable when dead. It is getting very severe here now in north norfolk we searched a whole parish today but could not find one un infected tree of any size.

Interesting & valid point.

No Chalara confirmed by the FC within the north part of London so far (which is where we're based)

Our budget is not strictly tax payer funded, but that's a debate for a different thread.

Also, if this particular tree eventually succumbs to dysfunction of any description it will be monolithed rather than removed, for its biodiversity value, especially as there are already decayed volumes already within it probably providing habitat to a wide range of inverts.

Hidden

Been promoting arb work on the important half of the tree for some time. :001_tongue:

Roots wall off better than branches, so only when big wounds are near the trunk are they a concern.

Here's a look at an unofficial copy of the US standard, that I had excellent help with putting together and getting passed. :001_smile:

LBG III Managing Stem-Girdling Roots1.doc.pdf

Arbor Age 1304.pdf

A300Part8-Drft4-V1-PubRev-130510.pdf

Hidden
...........There's very little in BS3998:2010 on root prunning other than cutting to as small a diameter as possible and leaving clean cut surfaces...........

There is more guidance in the BS on construction than in 3998, I assume?

Quite correct Guy, BS 5837:2012 lays out a little more guidance than BS 3998 particularly in section 7.2 (Avoiding physical damage to the roots during demolition or construction) where it regards careful excavation, using hand tools on roots under 25mm, preventing desiccation and type of back fill.

I guess our root was too big to tackle with hand tools, and the desiccation is probably a little less of an issue in British winters.

IMG_7219.JPG.4bc43bfb2d10f2de2215610a07cd5a43.JPG