To everyone feeling the reccession

Rhys Conway

Every guy or girl looking for work on this website, I feel feel for you, i have been trying to get work on here for months, nothing has come of it really unless you count the work i have had off Dave, 4 weeks max out of 3 months, but a BIG THANKS! To Dave Riding for the work, I have what you guys have as a minimum....CS 30 31 38 my own Chainsaw, PPE and Transport....was gonna get cs 39 but read alot on people passing it regardless of experienceand getting no where.........Ive spent enough money chancing, i think you guys in the colleges need shine and make yourself be noticed or else in the current climate your gonna be stuck in the job centre picking up ( i wont say it on here properly.... ( scraps) GOOD LUCK MY GUYS, PleaSE KEEP ME INFORMED ABOUT YOUR LUCKY BRAKES GUYS, ID BUZZ OF A FEW OF YOU MAKING IT PASSED THIS RECCESSION... :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Edited by Amelanchier
Watch the language - I don't wanna kick you when you down but if I gotta...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it took me 4 years from passing my felling ticket to getting a start with a firm, in that time i cut grass, peeled chips, shoveled thousands of tons of coal, picked litter, split logs and collected some dole money. dont give up and dont sit about when there is other types of work out there, might not be what you want at first but doing lots of really rubbish work you hate only makes you want it more.

Yeah you just have to do whatever you can do earn abit of cash. I`ve found that arb has a few diffrent things to offer.Climbing, ground work, basic labouring and abit of log cutting and splitting. I have and will do any of those to keep busy and I never let ego get in the way of anything.

The key thing i think is to get your foot in the door way with as many people as you can.

You only need to have 3 people who each give you abit of work to start getting fairly busy.

Cant you get away with just doung the cs 38 which if im right you can climb on as long as your supervised? (Someone please correct me if im wrong)

it took me 4 years from passing my felling ticket to getting a start with a firm, in that time i cut grass, peeled chips, shoveled thousands of tons of coal, picked litter, split logs and collected some dole money. dont give up and dont sit about when there is other types of work out there, might not be what you want at first but doing lots of really rubbish work you hate only makes you want it more.

Wise words from a wise old dog, its tough even for the VERY experienced guys right now, so its going to be ten times tougher for relative newbies.

Stick with it, and eventualy if you want it, it will happen.

I know how you all feel, really i do.

Just phone every tree firm in your area and ask for any work they have wether its a single day or more, mention that you can be flexible too so short notice shouldnt be a problem., someone will give you a call. All it takes is someones worker to pull a sickie at the last minute and hopefully the person they phone is you. Then you get in there prove yourself and youve sown your seed. :001_smile:

There's always work out there if you're willing and able.. dosent matter what industry.

I've posted up positions available on several occasions on the employment forum here - can't remember you ever contacting me???

If you think CS39 is not worth having then I guess you have settled yourself as being a groundsman only... there's work for groundsmen all over the place.

Get a road atlas, work out how many miles you can travel in one hour from home and draw a big circle around your house - phone everyone inside that circle, make a list of who you call, what thier number is and who you spoke to and what they said..

If that dosent work, draw another circle, this time an hour and a half from home.. again call everyone.

If none of that works, take a job in Tescos to keep you going untill you find a local job with a firm - don't give up on it if it;s what you really want.

Nice to see that I am not the only one out there feeling like this, managed two days tree surgery in the last month! But some is better than nothing

in the mean time staying with the clubs for abit of income and been gardening for the last two weeks Which has been a real boost!

Just try to remember there is always someone worst off then you are with no job and no qualifications to their name, must admit I am grateful that I am not in the same boat as that crowd.