running aspen2 and re-tuning saws

Charlieh

never liked it in my old job when a brand would promote itself by slating the other brands, my logic then was always "what if there were no other brands, how appealing would the product be"

aspen seems to slate petrol at every opportunity, do all the aspen vehicles run on it too? do you guys pay 3* the cost of petrol to run ALL your petrol items on the stuff? or is it just small hand tools,

I'd be much more inclined to give this a go if it was sold purely on it's own merits rather than slating the competition ( which lets face it seems to do a pretty good job)

if you guys use petrol AT ALL in your lives then you should really re word how you push this stuff because at present it's looking hypocritical... :-)

cough cough

I would prefer if this could stay as a technical thread about running the fuel rather than degenerating into critising the product :thumbup:

Charlie

:dito:

Another reason why i wont be using it :001_rolleyes:

never liked it in my old job when a brand would promote itself by slating the other brands, my logic then was always "what if there were no other brands, how appealing would the product be"

aspen seems to slate petrol at every opportunity, do all the aspen vehicles run on it too? do you guys pay 3* the cost of petrol to run ALL your petrol items on the stuff? or is it just small hand tools,

I'd be much more inclined to give this a go if it was sold purely on it's own merits rather than slating the competition ( which lets face it seems to do a pretty good job)

if you guys use petrol AT ALL in your lives then you should really re word how you push this stuff because at present it's looking hypocritical... :-)

If the other players in the petro-chemical industry wish to fund a forum on here then slate aspen then they can do, but i do wish threads could stay on track as so far every thread on aspen has degenerated into other ramblings about the product, :thumbdown: they arent specifically naming other products, its only the same as stihl and husky claiming to be better than other brands for given reasons, anyway you've got me straying off topic now.

Many thanks for that info about adjusting the L-jet, the only reason i set my saws up on a tacho is i have access to one, and with many of the newer saws you cant tune them by ear anymore.

• Like 1

apologies,, missed that little comment charlie,,,:blushing:

i thought all the threads re aspen were debates....

maybe the mods could move the comments/ debates re the pro's cons of aspen to the lounge and leave the tech comments in?:001_smile:

failing that delete all of the useless posts like mine and start again..:blushing:

I've been running my saws 395, 088, 357 flat out for 2 days on aspen now and i must say the only one that seems like it needs a wee adjustment is the 357. But i am most impressed with it so far ok its a few quid more, im not too worried as it was very refreshing today cutting down an oak in a confined space. 2 saws running most of the day and i didn't have a sore throat from the fumes although they do remind me of a chippy:sneaky2: So i had to get chips for lunch!!! Im going to run aspen for 1 month to see if i feel better and see if the saws run better.

On my km130 when it blocked a valve it was run on aspen for its entire life apart from the last 8 months when they had it apart in the shop it appartently was the cleanest head and piston the guy had seen on a machine that old,the piston crown was spotless... I think the valve problem has been put down to a dodge ignition unit.

• 2 years later...

Charlie, i hope this query is on topic.

i like using Aspen, i have a ms 200t, that doesn't love it, and a big Husq that does.

however, i came to the Husq after some months. it was last run on Aspen, emptied of fuel before being put away. I tried starting it yesterday, couldn't, couldn't this morning.

I dried the plug, looked for a spark, looked on the forum blah, blah.

I ended up emptying the Aspen, and filling with some gippo juice and 2 stroke oil and after a few more pulls. she kicked into action.

what do you reckon was happening there, i nearly ordered a new coil.

Its an old thread, but nevertheless a good question travis.

I think the problem could be along these lines.

If the Huskie was run for a time on 'pump petrol' before being swapped to aspen, then the carb diaphragms would already have started to degenerate.

This is due to the solvents in petrol permeating the synthetic rubbers and nitrile material and 'washing' out the chemicals built in to maintain the suppleness.

The solvents then take over the tasks of keping the material soft whilst slowly destroying it.

When you swap to Aspen which has no solvents present, you can sometimes find that the materials start to harden up and crack.

If left dry for a period they will harden but not soften again when reintroduced to Aspen, but reintroduce pump petrol and they will be attacked by the solvents and softened once more whilst they continue to be destroyed. But this softening may have been enough to enable a start.

New diaphragms which have only ever seen Aspen will remain supple indefinately, as there are no solvents to wash out the inbuilt chemicals which maintain the suppleness.

When using Aspen it is best IMO to leave the machines 'wet' as there is nothing to gain from emptying them.

The severity of the the problem you experienced will depend on the previous exposure to the pump petrol. Machines changed whilst fairly new will not have the problems that may be experienced with older kit.

Install new diaphragms and you should be fine for ages on Aspen.

Incidentally, some of the old posts on this thread seem to hint that all machines need a retune on conversion, but that is simply untrue. Over the last 12 months I have converted hundreds of machines to Aspen, most of which have needed no retuning for aspen, in fact I usually service them first with the petrol that they come in with it if it not stale. Most will need a small retune on service to run at their best ON THE ORIGINAL FUEL.

I will then drain the tank and refill with Aspen. Then test the state of tune again and normally they need no further adjustment.

Hope this has been of some help.