drying log's

yaxleylad

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you do it in England . In this neck of the woods,split it in a timely fashion and stack it on wooden pallets which normally can be obtained for free if you have the right connections .

The pic is approx 15 cords of firewood .I keep it covered in the winter and let the sun get to it the rest of the year.Usually about a years worth of drying does except oak which takes about 2 years .

5976534fca287_Logsplitter002.jpg.970aa834c80746ee1a0d75ee14c01698.jpg

5976534fc80b2_mapletrees005.jpg.3ccd0c64b8d0817980adaf4f4ca062b3.jpg

They're right about splitting as early as possible. On a job last year, I salvaged some wood that had been felled and just left in a ditch a few years ago. It might as well have been felled a few hours before, it was that wet.

I tend to start splitting and stacking around now. I stack on a patch on the west side of the garden, and cover the stack with whatever. You need to cover it, even if you have to buy something in. Scaffolding cladding is cheap, if you can find a local supplier. The stuff in the picture is roofing underlay from screwfix.

It gets plenty of westerly wind, as there is nothing next door except a few fields. This lot was stacked in spring, and was burnable by Autumn. They're cut to 8", and split to quite a small section, as I only have a standard terraced house size grate. There are 4 parallel stacks here, with 8" gaps between them. I ought to stack them looser this year, or leave air holes, but this all burned ok, apart from the bottom..you can see how the rain has hit the ground and splashed up, and there was a lot of rain last year!!

I also make a round stack, but that wasn't so good. It fell over after a month, and had to be restacked, and the lower half didn't seem to be that dry.

Firewood2007.jpg.164e498181378657c49f3fc1d01fc89b.jpg

I became tired of all this splitting and stacking business,instead I constructed a enourmous Cenfrifuge that takes tons at a time.I spin the logs around at a terrific speed and the G force throws all the water out.

Anything else is just work.

I became tired of all this splitting and stacking business,instead I constructed a enourmous Cenfrifuge that takes tons at a time.I spin the logs around at a terrific speed and the G force throws all the water out.

Anything else is just work.

sounds interesting, you got any pictures?

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I let these clowns use my Centrifuge,condition is that they repaint the walls.

Only fair.

I've had some of those NASA logs.... right old rubbish.

Anyone bake their logs in a polytunnel? Always seems like a good scheme to me