It's time to wake up - and switch to Aspen Fuel

Aspen@AAOIL

I order in bulk, 60 litres at a time, I would never go back to normal fuel coz it smells so bad. As for the solvents etc, surely aspen would not be able to make these statements if they were not true??

Yeah but i dont want 60+ litres of fuel kicking about, where we currently have less than 20 stored as it will create problems with insurance and the 'elf and safety people

on the latter point he said he's pretty certain it doesnt contain any solvents -that may well be true, but as petrol itself is a solvent it doesnt really answer the question

I dont have any beef with the idea of aspen and if other people want to use it then thats their perogative, my issue is with the 'wonder fuel of the future' type marketting when there are still significant questions unanswered.

Also we have kit that needs to run on 100:1 , 40:1 and 25:1 as well as the saws that run on 50:1 so it doesnt make any sense to pay a premium for premixed fuel which won't be at the right ratio for much of our kit

seems strange to me that you are worried about the "elf and safety people" when it comes to storing a bit of fuel, but you don't seem bothered about the fact that you and your fellow men are breathing in toxic emissions everyday... especially when there is suitable storage containers available.

I have never said that i am "pretty certain" that aspen contains no solvents,this response was to your question about why the oil doesn't separate.

petrol you get from the pumps contains 35% aromatic hydrocarbons (solvents) aspen (which is Alkylate petrol) contains less then 0.1%. i.e virtually solvent free.

does that answer your question?

90% of saws run on 50:1 and aspen is also available in a non mixed version (aspen 4) so you can achieve the same benefits but Taylor the mix to suit your requirements.

Reply from Aspen Technical Chief in Sweden

Benzene was never added, it is a natural ingredient in gasoline and is limited to 1% in Europe. Before 2005 it was 5%. Gasoline still contains benzene and above all it contains 35 % aromatics which will contribute to benzene in the exhausts equal to a gasloine containing 3% benzene. MTBE is also loosing ground and is now banned in the US and in some European countries like Denmark. Alkylate will not replace MTBE, no new production of alkylate is scheduled and ethanol with replace MTBE in some places.

I don´t know where you got this information, but it doesn´t seem very reliable.

Same here.

"Naturally occuring" in gasoline?

I think you'll find that gasoline is a very carefully controlled blend of several product streams. and Refiners of oil are desperate to put as much benzene in petrol as they can, from a chemical point of view its the holy grail of petrol components, dirt cheap and has unequalled RON and MON values (Octane values to those who don't do chemistry)

also, feeling sick is nothing to do with benzene content, thats all to do with Carbon Monoxide as a result of incomplete combustion, so in fairness to aspen perhaps their fuel does burn more completely, thereby makinfg less sickness inducing CO.

Most refinaries have alkylation units now, it seems to be the way the market is moving anyway.

lets not turn this into a big debate over how fuel is made as that is not important.

All that we need to know is that road fuels contains Benzene, aromatic hydrocarbons, along with other nasties which are fine in a car but isn't so good for operators of small garden machinery.

its up to the individual user to choose if they use it or not but it isn't fair for people who have never given alkylate petrol a good test to write negative comments only based on assumptions.

lets not turn this into a big debate over how fuel is made as that is not important.

All that we need to know is that road fuels contains Benzene, aromatic hydrocarbons, along with other nasties which are fine in a car but isn't so good for operators of small garden machinery.

its up to the individual user to choose if they use it or not but it isn't fair for people who have never given alkylate petrol a good test to write negative comments only based on assumptions.

And how do you remove said nasties and where to they go ? ( I suspect the answer is into the air - which shoots a large hole in the green argument , though i'd be happy to be proved wrong)

and lastly my principal negative comment is fact based - aspen is significantly (x2-3)more expensive than standard fuel , and in these straightened times I cannot justify multiplying the fuel budget by that much without very good reason

Your not giving straight answers to questions like...

What is the chemical make up of aspen ?

Has there been independent and peer reviewed research into the health issues of these chemicals, and if so where ?

How is it manufactured ?

What's its total carbon/polutant footprint ?

and what is the justification for it being nearly 3x as expensive ? (by which i mean actually why does it cost that much, not what's the justification for buying it)

...doesnt help make a case for spending the money to give it a trial. I'm not being bloody minded either these are all questions that I will have to answer to justify trippling my fuel budget , as simply repeating unproven/unevidenced assertions from your marketing litterature isnt going to cut it