Tree surgeons "other" services?

Frank

Offering other service such as fencing and or grounds maintenance etc seems to be somewhat frowned upon by some other tree workers. What do you guys think? I know some companies such as Beechwood Trees and Landscapes have the ability to overcome this by having seperate gangs but what do you think about someone offering the full package doing large dismantles and reductions etc one day and then pushing a lawnmower next?

I believe the public perception wouldn't be a bad one and I feel the only negative comments or views would come from other tree workers. There may be the old "good tree surgeons don't need to offer other services", which would be fair in my opinion if the company had been around 10 years or more, but for new start ups is this a viable option or do you think you would come across as being unprofessional or not as good?

Discuss.

Edited by Frank
Spelling was poor to say the least.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. That's exactly my thinking. When I first set out I did grass cutting, weeding, fencing, turfing, everything but then tree work took over and I got some advise suggesting to me that I would never be taken seiously if I didn't only do trees.

Work is a bit slack at the moment and after having an operation stopping me from doing any climbing for a few weeks I was wondering if some new flyers might be an idea including grounds maintenance, I am more than equipped with mowers and strimmers etc to handle any outside work.

Agree all the way with you. For some reason, round here (Cheshire) there is a big lack of work. Most of the guys I know are quiet and the phone has just stopped ringing.

I think it's the recession actually biting hard here.

A lot of builders are leafleting for gardening, turfing and even tree work.

There's no point in me moaning about it, it's time to ride it out and dig in in my opinion.

I think that there may be an element of envy maybe.......maybe the ones who cant do anything else are the ones bitching about thiose of us who do a variety of work....At the moment i am doing some stonework for a couple of days a week (took on a contract last year when work was a bit thin, but try very hard to avoid stonework nowadays), did a days sawmilling on friday last, and have done some tree work on the other days. Variety is the spice of life, and i have a large amount of bills to pay each month (as im sure most of us do).

Its ok Frank, we all know about your mobile hairdressing outfit, I think its pretty cool actually. Dont worry about the big boys bullying you, they are only jealous.

Hahahaha PMSL.

Did you know Pete, that he's not at home with a hernia post -op, he's covering his tracks in case anynenotices hes not doing treework whilst on the advanced perming course at the National Institute of Hairdressers and Barbers...:lol::lol: