Positive Action on Tree Safety……?

BatiArb

On reflection, I'm steering toward this being a metaphor for the future, where there should be a lot less chainsaw work (removal), with more emphasis on rhizosphere work and more trees with "issues" being maintained and re-invigourated rather than chopped.

Or at least, I'm hoping that's what he meant.

Statements like that are put together to make people talk

I agree, and yes the future of arboriculture is definitely underground......

We need to look closer and consider more the root of the issue.

Tree surgery to the canopy can only ever treat the symptoms of problems that are a result of issues developing underground in the trees root system and its association with the growing environment in the soil.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrew,

I suspect that Nev is expressing what he hopes is the future course rather than a deterministic prediction for the future of Arboriculture.

I often feel that more progress (from my perspective) can be achieved through dialogue with other professions than with other Arborists. There are in Ted Green's words a lot of "flat earth Arborists" refusing to move on from their (hard earned) business model of chainsaws, chippers and 'dangerous' trees.

Hi Andrew,

I suspect that Nev is expressing what he hopes is the future course rather than a deterministic prediction for the future of Arboriculture.

I often feel that more progress (from my perspective) can be achieved through dialogue with other professions than with other Arborists. There are in Ted Green's words a lot of "flat earth Arborists" refusing to move on from their (hard earned) business model of chainsaws, chippers and 'dangerous' trees.

Sean,

Yes, I agree, and do feel the same myself at times.

I know that sometimes change requires a shock treatment to get the discussion going, and as such do not take issue with the verbal statements thrown into debates to get the discussion going. Ted is well practiced at this and I have watched him stir up a crowd on numerous occasions, just to step out of the ring and watch others fight it out.

I am sure Nev's statement is in a very similar vein, because he is also someone who is not shy of throwing the cat amongst the pigions. And I have to say that it is something that I too have enjoyed on countless occasions. It is a great way to get debate off the ground and make people start thinking.

However, controversial statements are one thing if used to get a debate going, but are completely different if embedded into professional/industry guidance documents.

This is where I believe the NTSG report needs to be careful. It does not score high on the diplomacy side of things.

At this time, I think the Arb industry as a whole has little or no interest in the report and it's potential guidance.

Mainly due to the fact that we are all out there trying to earn a living and documents and reports like this only serve to remind us how we are constantly being lectured to from people who have never done a days work in the industry so have very little understanding of what is involved in practical day to day tree management.

On a practical level - I think VTA is the way forward for tree safety, the Arboricultural Association should be pushing the importance of VTA and producing their own guidance for land owners/managers with funds directly from the Forestry Commission.

On a practical level - I think VTA is the way forward for tree safety, the Arboricultural Association should be pushing the importance of VTA and producing their own guidance for land owners/managers with funds directly from the Forestry Commission.

fwiw, the AA are first in the line up of NTSG membership Professional bodies,

so i would assume are fully involved here.

At this time, I think the Arb industry as a whole has little or no interest in the report and it's potential guidance.

Mainly due to the fact that we are all out there trying to earn a living and documents and reports like this only serve to remind us how we are constantly being lectured to from people who have never done a days work in the industry so have very little understanding of what is involved in practical day to day tree management.

These are precisely the reasons why it is important to get involved.

The report is backed and produced by a significant group of organisations that provide unprecedented credibility to the document.

This is not just another guidance document produced by a single organisation such as the AA. This is an industry lead forum of representatives that has commissioned academic research into a priority topic within arboriculture, which has a direct impact on the way we work.

This report will have an impact.......!

If you are interested in your future work - read the report and have your say.

Andrew

Working for over 20 years in arboriculture over half of these with chainsaw in hand. Still out there doing practical work, although more with an AIR-SPADE. :thumbup:

The report is backed and produced by a significant group of organisations that provide unprecedented credibility to the document.

This is not just another guidance document produced by a single organisation such as the AA. This is an industry lead forum of representatives that has commissioned academic research into a priority topic within arboriculture, which has a direct impact on the way we work.

:

NTSG membership

Professional bodies:

Arboricultural Association

British Standards Institution

Centre for Decision Analysis and Risk Management,

Middlesex University

Institute of Chartered Foresters

London Tree Officers Association

Quantified Tree Risk Assessment

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Tree Council Visitor

Safety in the Countryside Group

Tree owners / managers:

British Holiday & Home Parks Association Ltd

Confederation of Forest Industries (UK) Ltd

Country Land and Business Association

English Heritage

Essex County Council

Forestry Commission

National Farmers Union

Organisations with heritage / conservation interests:

Ancient Tree Forum

Campaign to Protect Rural England

English Heritage

Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust

National Trust

Woodland Trust

This report will have an impact.......!

If you are interested in your future work - read the report and have your say.

:

Well said!

And like I said before, if the whole document is a bit much to take in in one go, start with the case studies at the end. These give a flavour of what is likely to be expected.