8kw log burner advice please

I'd echo what Paul said Stevie.

It has a massive dependency on moisture content, if the logs are bone dry and have been kept under cover I can get an hour out of one log with the vents shut right down but the fire still glowing.

More moisture and I have to have the vents more open which results in more heat going up the chimney, the slower the burn the more the heat is transfered to the room.

The best way is to tell them to buy a bag and suck it and see :biggrin:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually less than a bulk bag, they're usually about 0.8m3. I use those plastic builders truggs to bring the logs into the house. The ones I have are not that big and to use 2 in a day , 24hrs, you really have to be getting the fire stoked up good and proper. The fire place I've got allows me to stack a bit of wood either side so it gets a bit more drying prior to going into the burner. Also the wetter the wood the more deposits go up the chimney and stick to the sides raising the potential for chimney fires.

Going on that 0.5m3 per week our 15m3 would last 30 weeks. As the burning season is not quite 30 weeks (more like 26 weeks) we on average burn slightly more at 0.58m3 per week in a 5kW stove thats the only heat source is a 35 x 12, 3 bed static (IE it leaks heat like a sieve). It would be very hard to burn more than that as we run it 24/7.