behold... the epic fungi thread!

chris cnc

Im getting most of the rot information form "manual of wood decays in trees" by Weber and Mattheck

to quote the book:

Ganoderma adspersum- white rot, wood becoming soft, leading to ductile fracture or windthrow after root fracture

Phellinus ignarius- white rot, wood first becoming brittle, later soft. brittle fracture or ductile fracture

so it is similar to Australe/adspersum, changes its rot at later stages, therfore resulting in a combination or both characteristics depending on the mode of fialure

am i right that adspersum is the same as australe? which is the current/ recognised name?

thats right, youll also see reference to Ganoderma lipsiense in older books, the old name for what is now recognised as applanatum.

confusion i know! they change names ALL the time!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well at least we got that cleared up! haha rots are complex thats for sure. i just recently got the book so not overly familliar with the content yet.

while your paying attention to this thread, see if you can id these brackets, found on a willow the other day. nearly fell in the river trying to get a closer look so i need to justify it with a positive id lol :thumbup1:

DSCF3512.jpg.63c9c1766fbd3ac017cc1dc1b74f10ec.jpg

DSCF3509.jpg.d05b727dd54501901987d8493beadc0c.jpg

DSCF3504.jpg.2d15bbd3be19ec4d9fcfdcf5424dc40a.jpg

show off! i was stumped by that one for some reason. its fair enough id'ing classic forms but when you have to deal with old, unfarmilliar, dessicated or mutated examples its a whole different story!

I know, thats why I love this mycology lark, its always testing you, always pushing you, it is never boring, always stimulating.:thumbup1:

Oh yes! i have just found out my grubs hatched out from the polyporus bracket! they are tiny flies! body of similar colour to that of the flat footed flies associated with g. applanatum! now i can send of a sample for Identification

WHOOOOP WHOOOP!

nice 1! pics? is this a rarity?

see, never a dull moment in the fungi underworld!

nice 1! pics? is this a rarity?

see, never a dull moment in the fungi underworld!

according to buglife Applanatum is the only fungus known to be parasitised by a fly, so i have at least two to add potentialy to this list.

Wtach out for grubs in brackets, this is an area you could contribute too, we collectivley know so little of the role fungi play.

the truth is out there, and its all new, not in books my friend, no one knows!

and ametuers have historicly proven to be the great discover's of these things, isnt THAT an exciting thought!

The likes of you and me, can add to the collective knowledge of science, without letters after our names!

Who needs ten years in an institution!:sneaky2:

according to buglife Applanatum is the only fungus known to be parasitised by a fly, so i have at least two to add potentialy to this list.

Wtach out for grubs in brackets, this is an area you could contribute too, we collectivley know so little of the role fungi play.

the truth is out there, and its all new, not in books my friend, no one knows!

and ametuers have historicly proven to be the great discover's of these things, isnt THAT an exciting thought!

The likes of you and me, can add to the collective knowledge of science, without letters after our names!

Who needs ten years in an institution!:sneaky2:

im dead into this, imagine discovering a new find!

i am especially interested in the Phellinus site near me, as i have read that Phellinus ignarious is possibly a yet-to-be-resolved complex of species, and the sheer amount of them at that site may throw up some important finds.

the conservation area status of the site, and the fact that im pretty sure im the only person that ventures into the Phellinus area, means that the area is pretty much left to its own devices.

Phellinus chris coatham does have a certain ring to it.... :lol:

im dead into this, imagine discovering a new find!

i am especially interested in the Phellinus site near me, as i have read that Phellinus ignarious is possibly a yet-to-be-resolved complex of species, and the sheer amount of them at that site may throw up some important finds.

the conservation area status of the site, and the fact that im pretty sure im the only person that ventures into the Phellinus area, means that the area is pretty much left to its own devices.

Phellinus chris coatham does have a certain ring to it.... :lol:

Mutse atsi chris!

youll do just fine me thinks!:thumbup: