behold... the epic fungi thread!

chris cnc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in case you havent realised, im going to keep going until someone tells me to stop....

Phellinus ignarius

Found on broadleaves, most commonly willow. perrenial.

Causes an intensive white rot, leading to a brittle fracture.

fruiting bodies appear on trunk and major branches, sometimes quite high up, and can be found on felled/fallen wood. Often woodpecker holes near the brackets.

the brackets start small and lumpy eventually grow into a large hoof or dome shaped bracket, showing perrenial layers, and often cracked with age and covered with moss or algae.

DSCF3342.jpg.5963b237b03c813103ae9784b4532e16.jpg

DSCF3280.jpg.f685b446c0b272a1d2ad236cd27376c7.jpg

DSCF3278.jpg.6b1ad7838213bb1969fd0260329b6870.jpg

DSCF3263.jpg.b6df8dadfb47c8caa5843efac91386ac.jpg

DSCF3572.jpg.4a25f2868802d8d9bf68e1b40101a048.jpg

DSCF3569.jpg.18319c048c87d9329385f3349f82f8f8.jpg

DSCF3537.jpg.b69d9e58494cfaffa472dc0af5fb4f40.jpg

DSCF3556.jpg.bbeb31a619c72dc5dd2ecf3d8a4a24c2.jpg

DSCF3552.jpg.a8d6f7eae5ff81e7ce8d889d8726a31c.jpg

Chris, this is what i mean by learning from nature rather than blindly quoting the books!

Intense white rot would result in a ductile/ simaltaneous failure and not a brittle one as in ustulina/kretschmaria or the dual failure of brittle and ductile in the laeti fistulina model as with the decayed parts (efectivley a cavity) and living cambium regions, effectivley a tube, failure by hose pipe kinking. as in the hollow model.

intense white rot may appear to fail with a distinct "flat profile" in advanced decay, but it is ductile.

ganoderma australe is a dangerous one because it has an arson of "modes" and can and often does result in a brittle fracture associated with soft rot or preferential cellulose degredation.

Rots are important to get right from an assesment point of view, cellulose decay is far worse than lignin decay, and the confusion is in "soft rot" where the fracture is like stone and brittle.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Chris, this is what i mean by learning from nature rather than blindly quoting the books!

Intense white rot would result in a ductile/ simaltaneous failure and not a brittle one as in ustulina/kretschmaria or the dual failure of brittle and ductile in the laeti fistulina model as with the decayed parts (efectivley a cavity) and living cambium regions, effectivley a tube, failure by hose pipe kinking. as in the hollow model.

intense white rot may appear to fail with a distinct "flat profile" in advanced decay, but it is ductile.

ganoderma australe is a dangerous one because it has an arson of "modes" and can and often does result in a brittle fracture associated with soft rot or preferential cellulose degredation.

Rots are important to get right from an assesment point of view, cellulose decay is far worse than lignin decay, and the confusion is in "soft rot" where the fracture is like stone and brittle.

Thats showed me then!

im still learning about all this, and just trying to gather as much info as i can, so cheers for pointing that out.

Thats showed me then!

im still learning about all this, and just trying to gather as much info as i can, so cheers for pointing that out.

LOL, I didnt mean to give you a proverbial wrist slapping if thats how it felt!:lol:

What decay books have you chris?

You know, thinking about white rot, and the infinate subtle divisions/ways decay happens you are right anyway, as australe is an intense white rot, but results in a semi brittle fracture, i shall go back to my books and duoble check, as I am unfamiliar with the rot of Igniarius, and if it is the same as australe, then i guess it would be both brittle and ductile failure simaltaneous as i said.

We can both learn here! as i now need to re affirm something! lol

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Im getting most of the rot information form "manual of wood decays in trees" by Weber and Mattheck

to quote the book:

Ganoderma adspersum- white rot, wood becoming soft, leading to ductile fracture or windthrow after root fracture

Phellinus ignarius- white rot, wood first becoming brittle, later soft. brittle fracture or ductile fracture