Hedgelaying pics

csservices

got the photos of the hazel hedge on phone but will not sync to pc but some good cutters doing some good hedges. not your virgin hedge but real old hedge. and as digga said got to be careful with old thorn as brittle. chain saw and sharp side axe to finish. but got to get it untangled from the other stems first.

nice to see different styles from around the country.not much time left and that be it untill september. enjoy laying hedges. and have to say doing them in winter in some ways is better if it was a summer job be a hot job to do. still got a demo hedge in may at sparsholt to lay. see if i get someone come along and ask to buy the hedge so they can plant it in garden:blushing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Todays little job

with a very light dusting of snow, I was tucked right down in the valley away from the direct winds thankfully

Nice work. Possibly a stupid question, but why lay the hedge so low? Why not lay it to say 3 foot high, so it's still high enough to work as a hedge?

I guess it's because the bottom was so gappy that you needed to lay it low so it thickens up right from the base, rather than giving a nice thick hedge from 3 foot up but gappy at the bottom stilll...?

its dorset style and it is laid majority of the time on a bank dorset will say but maybe a drop other side were road is. the style i lay south of england we lay 4ft most of time as on flat ground. and tie in with stakes every 18inches then bind the top to keep it firm see your from somerset down your way lay flatish on bank cross bettween dorset and devon style. the more east you come and it get flatter then south of england takes over. to kent and up to just south of oxford then midland upwards with different styles either side.

there are 16 main styles with aprox 30 sub styles based on the main ones.

trust this helps and ccs service is i believe is derby style different again. bit of a treck but nationals is worth going to to see all the main styles being laid in bucks

Edited by hedgesparrow

its dorset style and it is laid majority of the time on a bank dorset will say but maybe a drop other side were road is. the style i lay south of england we lay 4ft most of time as on flat ground. and tie in with stakes every 18inches then bind the top to keep it firm see your from somerset down your way lay flatish on bank cross bettween dorset and devon style. the more east you come and it get flatter then south of england takes over. to kent and up to just south of oxford then midland upwards with different styles either side.

there are 16 main styles with aprox 30 sub styles based on the main ones.

trust this helps and ccs service is i believe is derby style different again. bit of a treck but nationals is worth going to to see all the main styles being laid in bucks

Got ya on the diff styles, thanks.

Still wondering though - in this case, when not laying on top of a bank (which would provide at least part of a stock boundary) is there a reason to lay it so low still? Besides trying to encourage growth at the very base? Just sticking to the Dorset style...?