Hedgelaying pics

csservices

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Interesting hand bills, how did you get those nuts on the tangs?

Welded some threaded bar on to them,makes it easy to change handles,they are Ellwell 10and12 " and hold  a sharp edge brilliantly

Edited by gary112

This is my Elwell, given to me by a chap I was working with 30 years ago, very little use in my attempts to lay hedges it resides in my logstorre to chop kindling.

I brazed the nut on the tang when it became loose and recently dribbled some epoxy resin left over from a repair job to firm it up.elwell.thumb.jpeg.5b87ed165ad3f86356efd7748f0c22b9.jpeg

• Like 2

First one of the season finished.

It was a 12 foot high black cherry plumb garden hedge right on the roadside. The owner is aware of the silverleaf risk but opted to go ahead anyway because it was causing traffic problems and the neighbours were giving him grief about the loss of light. It has been flailed several times with no sign of disease so at 32 metres he decided it was a relatively inexpensive gamble compared with grubbing it out and starting again with a different species.

It wasn't particularly nice stuff to lay. I won't be rushing to do another.

DSC_0187.thumb.JPG.d053b2e0e516ac5b53051cf599fd2547.JPG

DSC_0188.thumb.JPG.9ff6d4a7f5d61c0778768ba0aee6a508.JPG

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.8df140812cabd4fe3fd41ef519438437.JPG

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

First one of the season finished.

It was a 12 foot high black cherry plumb garden hedge right on the roadside. The owner is aware of the silverleaf risk but opted to go ahead anyway because it was causing traffic problems and the neighbours were giving him grief about the loss of light. It has been flailed several times with no sign of disease so at 32 metres he decided it was a relatively inexpensive gamble compared with grubbing it out and starting again with a different species.

It wasn't particularly nice stuff to lay. I won't be rushing to do another.

DSC_0187.thumb.JPG.d053b2e0e516ac5b53051cf599fd2547.JPG

DSC_0188.thumb.JPG.9ff6d4a7f5d61c0778768ba0aee6a508.JPG

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.8df140812cabd4fe3fd41ef519438437.JPG

Nice looking job 

And the next one got underway today.

Big, dense and wide field hedge, mostly hawthorn. And a sodding tree guard on every one...

Nice spot though.

It's spiteful stuff and the crowns are very congested from repeated flailing so it's a fiddle as there's loads of thinning out to do, but I do like big hawthorn like this. It makes you work but produces a lovely hedge. 

Will post finished pics in due course.  

DSC_0195.thumb.JPG.af61ab9e727db72a8f49452d7a524de9.JPG

DSC_0197.thumb.JPG.19e1cf367cccf0878e43d5a3b1dc5de4.JPG

Edited by Gimlet