Hedgelaying pics

csservices

Guest Gimlet

The hedge in the first two pics above was finished at the end of March last year.

Here is the regrowth on the same hedge by the middle of May the same year. 

DSC01150.thumb.JPG.6b4b56f96a3bf2aeaa8c2245e0851f06.JPG

DSC01153.thumb.JPG.c39ad853b07371a401aa5005be508c3d.JPG

DSC01154.thumb.JPG.92cddc980f6d0e8db952ff0761b2ae34.JPG

DSC01156.thumb.JPG.2f9882979d3a0476f78b22c91572fd09.JPG

Guest Gimlet

Field maple is one of my favourite hedging species. Number two hedgerow star after Hawthorn.

A lot of people find it troublesome and prone to breaking. I never have any problems with it. It does grow very fast round here on our chalk soils. Whether that makes any difference I don't know. Those hedges pictured were only planted in 2005 but some of the field maple was seven inches thick. If anything I think big field maple produces a better hinge than small stuff. It's just the crown that can be get a bit tangled.

My favourite hedge mix down here on our soils is:

65% Hawthorn 

10% Field Maple

25% a mixture of Guelder Rose, Wayfaring Tree, European Spindle, Hazel, Crab Apple and Bird Cherry.

Not a fan of blackthorn because it's too invasive and produces too much deadwood. Don't like common Dogwood either. Makes a pretty good hedge and regrows well but very invasive. And why people have starting putting Osier Dogwood in hedge mixes I've no idea. It's utterly useless as a hedge plant and spreads like a disease.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gimlet

Laying a hedge is like digging a hole with a digger. You can't believe all that waste came out of that space. 

Should have seen the firewood I got off this job. 740 metres with mature trees, mostly maples, every 10-15 yards, all of which all had to be cut back ruthlessly to maintain access for farm machinery. Took me two days solid to trailer the wood home. 

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.9452392f5fcc4b6e99ab4dc4e8d93ade.JPG

Edited by Gimlet

• 3 months later...