LDV (and transit) Dual Mass flywheel/clutch

Rupe

I remember someone on here sayign how rubbish the dual mass flywheels were and that they should be changed. I didn't really know what a dual mass thingy was.

ANyway I have been having clutch troubles on the LDV, and finally it packed up at the end of last week. I could just get 1st and 2nd but not allways and it was hard to get out of second so I kept stalling it!

Eventually I had to start in the gear I wanted and just go!

I think I have the best mechanics in the world!! 1.5hours, new clutch and standard flywheel fitted while you help yourself to tea and biscuits!!

So having looked at the old flywheel I understand a bit more about it. Its in two parts, hence dual mass, and it serves no purpose except maybe making the truck smoother to drive. When the clutch wears down it tends to ruin the flywheel as well, so both need changing but the dual mass one is not cheap, plus you still need a new clutch.

There is a conversion kit which consists of a clutch and a standard single piece flywheel and this kit costs less than the DM flywheel on its own.

So its a no brainer! My advice to anyone with the DM sytems on their truck (LDV or Transit) get it changed as soon as you have any clutch troubles. Once the new flywheel is on you will only ever have to change the clutch in the future.

Costwise, I got charged £327 for the kit, and £120 for labour.

Worth cleaning the starter motor out too as it can get contaminated with bits of metal from the dual mass breaking down. Which will just cause more grief.

Why they mess with things when they work perfectly well before hand baffles me! Especially on a works vehicle.

yh its brilliant haven a mate that's a ford engineer when you running a transit help me out loads of times gives the truck a full services for 35 pound and he gets me all the parts and oil to as they go missing wink wink

yh its brilliant haven a mate that's a ford engineer when you running a transit help me out loads of times gives the truck a full services for 35 pound and he gets me all the parts and oil to as they go missing wink wink

Thats nice!

Do you have employees?

I think in terms of offering advice to others with LDV's or transits "get a mate to knick stuff for you" isn't really great advice!

Thats nice!

Do you have employees?

I think in terms of offering advice to others with LDV's or transits "get a mate to knick stuff for you" isn't really great advice!

Agree, some may say 'its gone missing' others would say 'its been stolen'.:thumbdown:

Twas I that started that DMF thread back along. They are crap but in some cases a neccessary evil to smooth out crank pulsation in order to protect the gearbox from shockloading. It's about time someone manufactured uprated ones with better springs. My dilema was that in a V-configuration engine, in my case a V6 diesel, an out of balance flywhell upsets the whole engine balance and in my case again, with main bearing shells without those little cut-outs (see pic) to prevent rotation they can spin and wreck the block. Failed DMF in my unit = new engine = £7000.00 = Oh hell.

5976562c7d621_shellbearing.jpg.ee9867c1cc3b855fc74f80bbf1a8186e.jpg