Best all round thinning saw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big J - you can't be big, you must be flippin enormous!!! :001_tt2: 088 on that, blinkin hell man, what did she feed you?

I'm 6'4" and would be on a 346 or 357...

Agree. If I tried to use an 88 all day for such work, my weedy arms would surely drop off.:blushing:

I am very tempted by the Makita DCS7901-18. 6.2hp, 6.3kg and 18inch bar - does anyone have any significant experience with them?

Jonathan

I bought a DCS7901 (ran 18" and 28") for the very reasons you list above i.e that ON PAPER it should blow the competition out of the water. On price alone it will, but forget the rest. It is a revvy angry saw but I sold it in favour of a Husky 390XP which was much better but then I sold the 390xp in favour of a Stihl MS460 and I should have just had the Stihl in the first place. It is light for its power I think and the oldest design of the three - just shows when Stihl get a saw right, it's the best! Back handle of the Makita fell apart twice; mended under warranty. And it's a horrible blue colour. I'd rather have my Echo CS-600 than that now!

Haha! 6ft 8 but only about 16 stone - used to be alot bigger when I was weightlifting - some of the strength still persists. But I agree - far too large for almost anything (I have two of them for milling though).

Very drawn to the MS460 - looks a cracking saw and the weight not too prohibitive. Any other long term reviews? Whilst wandering the estate yesterday found a stand of mostly 16-20 inch beech and birch marked up - needing a saw with a bit of punch.

I realise that there is no defined answer to this, but I always appreciate people's experiences :biggrin:

Big J - you can't be big, you must be flippin enormous!!! :001_tt2: 088 on that, blinkin hell man, what did she feed you?

I'm 6'4" and would be on a 346 or 357...

I always climb with a 088, just waiting for a top handle so i can really go some!

Haha! 6ft 8 but only about 16 stone - used to be alot bigger when I was weightlifting - some of the strength still persists. But I agree - far too large for almost anything (I have two of them for milling though).

Very drawn to the MS460 - looks a cracking saw and the weight not too prohibitive. Any other long term reviews? Whilst wandering the estate yesterday found a stand of mostly 16-20 inch beech and birch marked up - needing a saw with a bit of punch.

I realise that there is no defined answer to this, but I always appreciate people's experiences :biggrin:

MS460 would be perfect if you want that size machine; I don't think there's anyone who would doubt the credentials of this saw. Granted it is an older design than its newer little bro the 441 and a little more vibey but like I said, tried an array of 70-80cc saws and the MS460 is by far the best all-rounder (for me anyway). Superb punch, reliable, nice to work on. Again, on paper the Makita 7901 outguns the 460 but I am utterly convinced the 460 has more power and is lighter. Just shows - data online or in the brochure (which is what I always used to spend hours contemplating) isn't so convincing. The position of the front handle relative to the saw body makes a massive difference to the balance of the saw especially with longer bars. MS460 - just do it - before they discontinue it; classic saw with rock solid character.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/10669-stihl-ms460-3.html

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I really liked the 046?ms460 when i ran them.

Here would be my choice for felling....if felling large trees i would go like this, ms 66 0r 395 36" for felling then a 460 or 372 24" for limbing then a 361 357 for brashing out.

felling medium size timber 372 or 460 with a 20" bar then a 357 or 361 15" for limbing... or on a whole for productivity most 15" size trees i would stick with the 357 as you can move faster.. and i find keep more productive!

real small stuff 346 witha 14"