Help

Paul Smith

• 1 month later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We deadwooded some pines a few years ago, and I shoveled some of the bone dry chip into the bosky - fantastic fuel. it was like having a small thermonuclear reaction, or blast furnace. the heat was incredible...

Yup, it's got to be dry :001_cool:

I can't quite work out why everyone gets so excited about massive chippers for fuel wood- a big tree's never going to be dry :thumbdown: I suppose it's just all about the big toys :001_tongue:

Deerman

You may have overlooked the best woodchip boiler on the market. If you go back to the farm2000 link and look at the Refo woodchip boiler from Denmark. It is fully automatic like a gas or oil boiler so long as there is woodchip in the tank. It can automatically regulate itself down to 10% of maximum output and will increase in 10% increments depending on heat demand. Woodchip ash is non existent maybe 1 ashpan per month. It is not cheap but then it is the Rolls Royce of woodchip boilers. It will also burn other biomass fuels and grain and they will test your fuel to see whether the boiler is compatible to your fuel.

We have one of those waste wood boilers at work that are just like a straw bale boiler but a bit smaller and it burns all the wood that's no good for firewood and most of the slabwood from the sawmill. For it's size (approx6ft tall x5 across and 6 Deep) it kicks out some heat - it heats a massive house (Estate owners Eldest Son lives there) and their swimming Pool.

There must be smaller models available somewhere.

Pellets are a good fuel but IMO won't catch on over here for the forseeable future and there isn't the supply infrastructure in place yet (there was a planning application just been refused for a peelet plant near us that was going to be producing 50,000 tonnes a year!)

Chips seem to work well in big sysytems such as for groups of houses or tower blocks (I was quite impressed when we went to look at the system South Yorkshire Council use in there tower blocks - was one of the site visits we did as part of the IGNITE course)

Asmentioned before though - very bulky to store, not great to handle, chip quality often dubious and automated syatems have a tendency to clog the augers if the chips aint perfect.

My thoughts, especially if you've acces to Arb waste, would be a decent waste wood boiler.

Hey Chris what was the ignite course like ,worth going on or not?