H&S Issues Re Making Chainsaw Chains

bob

i know that tehre is an issue with hire shops and chain reels.. i was collecting some files oop north in a dealer when a guy returned a hire saw.... the dealer was moaning that he had to chuck the chain and replace with a new one EVERY customer, irrespective of chain age, he was not allowed to use reel either, had to be brand supplied out of a box..

the speil was that no one was to know what the customer had done with the saw/ chain and so the safest POA was to replace.......

please bear in mind I'm only going on what a dealer was saying, i've not got the time or inclination to dig into HSE parp to see if it's genuine..:001_smile:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently been questioned on the H&S implications of making up chains from a reel

We have done this for a long time and never had any issues

It was suggested that we ought to but ready made chains.

Has anyone else had this as a concern

or any thought,s

Who questioned you???

And in what capacity??

Was it a dealer trying to make some extra money?

Makes no sense at all unless you have had issues with failiure of made up chains....

or you set up does not meet PUWER regs... Ie..not fit for purpose!!!

I make all the chains up for our guys in work mainly because it's just one of those jobs noone else wants to do, been doing it for years. Never had any training other than an old boy show me how years ago (and he showed me to use a bench grinder to cut off a length, use a chain break these days). Never had one break on a link that I made, and if a chain snaps, I always check. Hand on heart, I can say for a fact that I've Never with a capital N, seen one snap on a made up link. Law of averages say that one day I will but that will be one out of thousands. Not even 0.1%. The HSE can shove it up their (insert your own expletive)!

Who questioned you???

And in what capacity??

Was it a dealer trying to make some extra money?

Makes no sense at all unless you have had issues with failiure of made up chains....

or you set up does not meet PUWER regs... Ie..not fit for purpose!!!

It was a guy from a college that was genuinely surprised

Both local dealers make their own:thumbup:

This might be more of an issue on harvesters, where a chain breaking has led to chain shot, which has penetrated the cab and the operator himself. A lot of those accidents have happened where chains were made up in the woods by the operators themselves.

Personally, I can remember only two chains breaking when I was using them: both were cutting at the time, and stayed safely buried in the wood, and both were bought in as loops.

i know that tehre is an issue with hire shops and chain reels.. i was collecting some files oop north in a dealer when a guy returned a hire saw.... the dealer was moaning that he had to chuck the chain and replace with a new one EVERY customer, irrespective of chain age, he was not allowed to use reel either, had to be brand supplied out of a box..

the speil was that no one was to know what the customer had done with the saw/ chain and so the safest POA was to replace.......

please bear in mind I'm only going on what a dealer was saying, i've not got the time or inclination to dig into HSE parp to see if it's genuine..:001_smile:

I know this is Speedy Hire policy also! I did have a nice little scheme going with the bloke in our local depot who'd save me all the used chains for 'scrap' :)

I've had a few chains break, they are all made up from a reel. But they have all been on 020s. Whether its the narrow gauge chain or what I dont know, but i know without question they have ALL been my fault through nipping the bar by rushing what I was doing. And they've never broken the rivet - the links shear at the holes. I have actually caught one when i was using the saw one handed :blushing: and it did nothing to my gloved hand!

Just my 2p worth :)